Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

NESTED MODULES

Gerry Leonor
Advisor
i'm currently working in v9. i have a file which modules in a number of other files (PLNs) into this 'overall plan file'. my question is, is there a way to skip certain modules in one PLN and yet have another module in the same PLN appear?
AC25 | Win10 | 64Gb RAM | Intel i7 13700F | RTX 4070 Ti
>come join our unofficial Discord server
https://discord.gg/XGHjyvutt8
13 REPLIES 13
Gerry Leonor
Advisor
thanks for the suggestion,

i did think about adding the toilet module into the master document. i just thought doing that way meant that, if i did any changes to to the toilet modules in the model files, i would do the same to the master document. i was hoping of skipping that second amendment. but i guess that's the way i'm heading. thanks again!
__archiben
Booster
Gerard wrote:
... if i did any changes to to the toilet modules in the model files, i would do the same to the master document.

why would you need to? if you do it once in one file, updating the module handles it in the other files? in fact, why do you need a separate toilet file at all? why not attach it to one or the other files . . ?

maybe i really am misunderstanding you here?

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Gerry Leonor
Advisor
no no no, i do understand...i meant that if say, i do change the position of a toilet module itself, i would only have to do it once, in the module file.

or maybe i'm just being lazy
Dennis Lee
Booster
what about my suggestion above?
Ben, your diagram is really helpful. I have a similar situation, and I'm not sure if it applies to my case as well.

I have a project with 3 separate buildings (5+5+4 unit 2 story townhouses). Of course, they will share a lot of common details. There is about 5 different unit types, but they are slightly different also, depending on where they are on the building (edge or middle).

It seems that because of these slight differences and limited number of repeating units, it might be better off for me to model each building w/o the use of "unit" modules.

Since there are three buildings however, I am thinking of doing each building as a separate PLN file, and bring them into a site PLN file, because the building orientations in the site plan are different from how I'd like to show each floor plan.

I'm not sure exactly however, where to do the "documentation" portion - text, dimensions, etc. Also, in which file should I do the detail call outs & details? Should I hotlink the buildings as modules or PLN files?
siteplan.jpg
ArchiCAD 25 & 24 USA
Windows 10 x64
Since ArchiCAD 9