BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Non-horisontal roof ridge

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi.

I'm struggling with how to make a roof ridge that is not horizontal. I'm just beginning this BIM model and will naturally be working on it for the next 2-3 years so the solution has to be practical in terms of future skylight, sections...

What is the best way to approach this?
13 REPLIES 13
I would suggest you look at using a combination of a mesh to establish and anchor key points of your roof and the "Mesh-to-Roof" add-on from the Goodies.

Tool info here: https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/tips/archicad/goodies/mesh-to-roof-add-on/

Download Page here: http://www.graphisoft.com/downloads/goodies/index.html
Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-4060 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks.

Yes, I will have a look at the add-ons.
Barry Kelly
Einar wrote:
Yes, the multi-plane does that...

Unfortunately the moment the footprint becomes something else than a rectangle the top ridge point is un-movable? That is very inconveniant at such an early stage...but probably because of geometry constraints.
That is because it is really no longer a ridge.
It is a hip - bisecting the angle of the gutter (eave) lines of the adjoining roof planes.

I find using single roof planes can often be easier than using the multi-plane roof when odd shapes are involved.
Place the single plane pivot line and define the slope.
If you know the shape of the roof plane you can then model that - otherwise approximate it and use the roof edge adjust command to determine the hips and ridges.
i.e. with roof tool active, select one roof then CTRL click the edge on any other roof plane that you want to join to the selected roof.
Then select the other roof and CTRL click the adjoining edge on the first roof.

You can even place single roof planes in 3D if all you know is 3 height points for that roof plane.
It will create the pivot line at the correct position perpendicular to the roof pitch.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Super tip! Thanks.
Learn and get certified!