Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Patch doesn't save - AC17

Patches create fine, but when I open the library part, modify the 2D symbol, and then try to save the patch when exiting, it won't let me save. Is this a bug, or is it working differently than AC16?
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
11 REPLIES 11
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Richard:

Works as expected here, both when placed in Embedded Library and a loaded Library folder. What exactly is happening when the Patch won't save?

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Thanks, David. Sorry I wasn't more clear. The patch creates correctly initially. However, when I later open it and make modifications, and then try to close it, I am prompted, as normal, to save it. But clicking on "Save" has no effect; I can only Cancel or Don't Save.

EDIT: I have tried this on a variety of files - new and old - and Save doesn't work upon reopening after the initial patch creation. I've reported this as a bug.
Richard
Karl Ottenstein
I'm seeing what you're seeing, Richard. Thought it might be a Mac vs PC issue... but David is on a Mac also... so not sure why it works for him (his OS is older than mine, but not sure why that might matter).

After modifying the 2D of the patch, I try to close the object and get the options to <don't save, cancel, save> and if I click Save, I'm just back at the object window. It will not save and close. Confirmed that it is not even saving as I switched to the 2D window and did a rebuild and the revised 2D did not appear.

Works fine in 16, so this is some new bug in 17. Thanks for reporting it.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Richard & Karl:

Just tried again and not experiencing this issue. Are you able to Save As... the Patch Object? Yes, not ideal, a workaround for now.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
troakie45
Participant
Anybody got to the bottom of this one? Tried every possible variation - and its driving me nuts! Presumably a bug.

Perhaps I should add - AC 17, Win 7 64 bit.
Karl Ottenstein
Seems like this is OS-dependent, then. I'll report it. If anyone else would like to test and post their OS and results, that might be useful to GS. Particularly, it seems the only person that this works for is David with 10.6.8 - would be interesting to see if it works for any other OS.

Thanks,
Karl
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
GSUS has acknowledged the bug, and told me that they were trying to get a fix in for the next hotfix. When I reported it, it was the first they had heard of it, but apparently someone in Germany had reported it, too, so they were already working on it. It surprises me that this hadn't come up before. I guess most firms aren't using patches.
Richard
Karl Ottenstein
Thanks, Richard. I was too busy yesterday to repost what I heard back from GS: same news, that the fix would be in the next hotfix.
Stress Co_
Advisor
Here's a workaround until the hotfix.

Don't modify the patch with "open object"
Instead, modify the patch with: Edit> Reshape> Explode into current view.
Once exploded... modify the lines fills, etc.

Then select all the parts and: Save selection as> object.
You can give it the same name and overwrite the original patch file.

EDIT:
Karl wrote:
Seems like this is OS-dependent, then. I'll report it. If anyone else would like to test
and post their OS and results, that might be useful to GS. Particularly, it seems the
only person that this works for is David with 10.6.8 - would be interesting to see if it works for any other OS.

Doesn't work for me using 10.8.4... But does in 10.6.8 (AC17)
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.2.1 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)