BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Path of linked libraries different on two systems

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi all

I've had this issue with opening a PLN file on an other computer (iMac) when working from home.

On my work system (Mac Pro 2010 - OSX Mavericks) the path of the linked libraries start with /Macintosh HD/users/...

On my home system (iMac - OSX Mavericks) the path of the linked libraries start with users/... Rest of the path is the same on both machines.

Therefore I can't open the file properly and I have to remove the library links and add them again to make it work.

Isn't there a possibility to make the Path relative maybe? Or do i have to start saving my projects in PLA?

thanks.
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable
One of my pet peeves about Archicad is that ALL links to any files should be relative. Bettter still, allow users to define project variables (like in Microstation for example) where the project folder can be dfined as something like $PROJECT.

This can then be defined on many different systems in any way, and the files will always be found.
Anonymous
Not applicable
2nd that. This would solve my problem.

If I just could make AC leave the MacintoshHD/ out of the path, it would be the same for all systems, but I don't know why he does that on one mac and not on the others. Same AC version, same OSX version...
schagemann
Enthusiast
yes please - another vote from us.
macinteract
Design Technology Managers.
All  on macOS | since AC 6

Archicad Framework > Smart Template 27
Smart Tree, Transmittal and Universal Label and other smart GDL Objects
By Architects for Architects.
naomihansen
Booster
Has there really been no progress on this since the thread started? This is a daily issue for our office, and something that other CAD applications have been able to do since forever. I can't believe ArchiCAD has still not fixed this. If they can do it for linked drawings, why not do the same for linked libraries?
Naomi Hansen
Terry & Terry Architecture

Running AC27 build 4001 USA on Mac OS14.1.2
Ghaleb Khadra
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Rasmazzer wrote:
Hi all

I've had this issue with opening a PLN file on an other computer (iMac) when working from home.

On my work system (Mac Pro 2010 - OSX Mavericks) the path of the linked libraries start with /Macintosh HD/users/...

On my home system (iMac - OSX Mavericks) the path of the linked libraries start with users/... Rest of the path is the same on both machines.

Therefore I can't open the file properly and I have to remove the library links and add them again to make it work.

Isn't there a possibility to make the Path relative maybe? Or do i have to start saving my projects in PLA?

thanks.
Hi Rasmazzer,

I would be happy to open an case and investigate this in depth however, I would need your help with something before I can do that.

Would you please provide me with the FastLogger files on both your Home computer and Office computer so we may compare the results and see what is really going on.

Please do so by following these steps:

1. Navigate to: <username>/Library/Logs/GRAPHISOFT/ARCHICAD Log Folder/AC XX.X.X XXX vX/FastLogger
2. Delete or temporarily move all the logs in there.
3. Open the ARCHICAD file and reproduce the issue where you get the message that the libraries are missing and try to relink them, and then save and close ARCHICAD.
4. Navigate again to: <username>/Library/Logs/GRAPHISOFT/ARCHICAD Log Folder/AC XX.X.X XXX vX/FastLogger
5. A new log file should be created there. Please provide the file and give it a distinguishable name such as Home _Computer_Logs or anything just in order for us to be able to tell them apart.
6. Please repeat the steps above for the other computer, for example the one in the workplace.

Once you have both logs, please send them directly to me through a PM and I will open an official case for it.

I eagerly await your reply.

Until then, I wish you a great day!
Kind regards,
Ghaleb
Ghaleb Khadra
BIM Expert
GRAPHISOFT

For Troubleshooting and useful Tips & Tricks visit
https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com
Learn and get certified!