Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Plaster pattern on a barrel vaulted ceiling

Erich
Booster
Does anyone have a good method for modeling a plaster pattern on an elliptical vaulted ceiling?

I considered using a complex profile and a curved wall but the profile would merely be extruded along the curve not normal to it.

I could do it with GDL, but since there isn't a command to allow for a bprism with multiple radii, the maths would get a bit harry.

Thoughts?

Screen shot 2010-12-10 at 3.54.32 PM.png
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6
27" iMac Retina 5K
27 REPLIES 27
Karl Ottenstein
Very nice, Ralph. I encourage you to take this ... and so many of the other examples you have posted here on ac-talk ... and gather them in a blog on your Objective / Encina web site as they really augment the user manual in a very practical / visual way! (In addition to the examples on the actual Objective page.)

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.9, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
It's always a torture to see what objective can do
At least for the ones like me that cannot afford it. 🙂

PS: Very nice work!
Erich
Booster
OK for the body of knowledge that this forum represents, here is how I accomplished this.

1. Drew the shape of the ceiling laid out flat as a fill. (actually I used walls and then exploded them to create an outline for the fill).

2. Broke down the elliptical ceiling shape in the a series of smaller approximate arcs (Thanks Ralph!)

3. Determined the chord length of each approximate arc and then split the ceiling fill at that point.

4. Dragged the fills (there were multiple fills in most of the chord lengths) into one of the scripts other than the 3D script in the new GDL object to obtain the points for a prism.

5. In the 3D script I wrote a BPRISM command for each fill section. I used the radius of the approximate arc for that section as the radius for the BPRISM and then moved the new curved section of ceiling into location with an appropriate ROTx and ADD statements.

6. Next I changed the status code for the new BPRISM commands to 15 (some should really be 13 but I haven't done that yet) so they would show solid with their edges.

7. And here is the finished ceiling.

8. Edits are fairly simple now (As long as the vault doesn't change width) by just changing the fills and using them to get the new points for the BPRISM.

THIS WOULD BE MUCH EASIER WITH OBJECTIVE!
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6
27" iMac Retina 5K
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl wrote:
Very nice, Ralph. I encourage you to take this ... and so many of the other examples you have posted here on ac-talk ... and gather them in a blog on your Objective / Encina web site as they really augment the user manual in a very practical / visual way! (In addition to the examples on the actual Objective page.)

Cheers,
Karl
I would like to second that!
For guys like me with no GDL capibilities, Objective rules.
Now 3/4s of the way to finishing up my first major remodel job using Objective, and can't imagine AC without it.
vistasp
Advisor
Erich wrote:
THIS WOULD BE MUCH EASIER WITH OBJECTIVE!
lec1212 wrote:
Now 3/4s of the way to finishing up my first major remodel job using Objective, and can't imagine AC without it.
C'mon GS, make Ralph an offer he can't refuse!
= v i s t a s p =
bT Square Peg
https://archicadstuff.blogspot.com
https://www.btsquarepeg.com
| AC 9-27 INT | Win11 | Ryzen 5700 | 32 GB | RTX 3050 |
Rod Jurich
Contributor
vistasp wrote:
/.
Sorry to disagree vistasp, let Ralph be free to continue his excellent work.
Not to say GS would not honour his contribution. Just how many innovative
and excellent takeovers go sour. I'd hate to see my investment go that way.
Besides his fee is not excessive rather very reasonable considering what it achieves.
Best of all students, have it free of charge.
Rod Jurich
AC4.55 - AC14 INT (4204) |  | OBJECTiVE |
vistasp
Advisor
Rod wrote:
vistasp wrote:
Sorry to disagree vistasp, let Ralph be free to continue his excellent work. Not to say GS would not honour his contribution. Just how many innovative and excellent takeovers go sour. I'd hate to see my investment go that way. Besides his fee is not excessive rather very reasonable considering what it achieves.
Best of all students, have it free of charge.
You have some very valid points there, Rod. But, that what sounds like a reasonable fee in North America/Western Europe/ANZ is much less so in some other parts of the world. If you consider purchasing power parity as opposed to plain currency conversion, Objective would cost me the equivalent of US$ 900 instead of US$ 300.
= v i s t a s p =
bT Square Peg
https://archicadstuff.blogspot.com
https://www.btsquarepeg.com
| AC 9-27 INT | Win11 | Ryzen 5700 | 32 GB | RTX 3050 |
Rod Jurich
Contributor
vistasp wrote:
/.......If you consider purchasing power parity as opposed to plain currency conversion,
Objective would cost me the equivalent of US$ 900 instead of US$ 300.
I appreciate more now you explain an even more valid point about exchange rates/purchasing power.
The way the US economy is going you may have parity soon
You should talk to Ralph. As my father says "if you do not ask, you will never know"
Rod Jurich
AC4.55 - AC14 INT (4204) |  | OBJECTiVE |
Dwight
Newcomer
Without trying to sound like an angry idiot, my initial reaction was:

"Yeah, that's rough. OBJECTIVE, and my book and all of the other Archicad add-ons seem expensive for our colleagues in India, but those of us who live in the Western world have to make a living, too, now that the international electronically-connected world pursues basic rendering and drafting jobs for a fraction of our billing rates. [According the the weekly promotions I receive in my email]"

You can't afford add-ons and I can't heat my house [for example].

OBJECTIVE is a totally unique and powerful tool that pays itself overandover compensating for Archicad's horrific modeling deficiencies, unlike my books, say, where you could use time [like i did] to discover these things for yourself.

Even at the equivalent of $900. how many billing hours can you save in a year to pay for OBJECTIVE? Perhaps we should all invoice Graphisoft for those functions that SHOULD HAVE COME WITH THE BASIC LICENSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you, Ralph. At any price.
Dwight Atkinson
Gerald Hoffman
Advocate
I'd like to echo Dwight here and also add that I have had OBJECTiVE for several versions of AC now and unlike a lot of other Add-ons he has not to date charged for updates. I'm not suggesting Ralph that you should but only letting others know what value there is in your add-on. I use it on every project I do and find it the best tool in the box in its simplicity and usefulness!

Cheers,
Gerald Hoffman
“The simplification of anything is always sensational” GKC
Archicad 4.55 - 27-6000 USA
2019 MacBook Pro-macOS 15.0 (64GB w/ AMD Radeon Pro 5600M GPU)