Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Poly count: 49,636

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,

I've created a railway track, using custom profiles (beams) but now my ArchiCAD file seems to be very slow. I find that I have to open things gradually in layers in the 3D window just to view them. As you can see from the attachment, the beams are taking up most of the count as I have also inserted sleepers to make the rail track more realistic.

The 'Objects' are 4 Cadimage railings which are around 7metres long... perhaps I should replace them with ArchiCAD parts instead?

The plans open just fine, sections are slow and the 'wait time' in 3D goes up to 166 minutes. I try to stop the 3D process but ArchiCAD crashed.

Is this poly count way to large? How can I 'fix' the problem?

Thank You
27 REPLIES 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm trying to start from scratch.. the first slab I place creates problems. it's a square slab (but will be turned into the streets contour etc.) it will not load in 3D and causes crashes...

I have no idea what's going on with ArchiCAD but I seem to spend more time repairing the file or element than actually creating!
NCornia
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
If you are starting from scratch and a single rectangular slab causes the program to crash, along with the above comments, it sounds like you might need to re-install the software or apply the latest hot fixes.
Nicholas Cornia
Technical Support Team - GRAPHISOFT North America
ARCHICAD on Twitter
Tutorials
GRAPHISOFT Help Center
Anonymous
Not applicable
Would it be possible for anyone to look at my file (which I will upload as a response to whomever has time to check it) It only includeds the tracks and sleepers only to see why placing a slab causes the 3D window to crash...

I have no time at all to re-draw all the train track but the other elements are quite simple 9(roads box-buildings etc.)

I'm at a loss with what to do next and it very frustrating.

Thank you

EDIT: I forgot to say that I've re-installed ArchiCAD and also tested it on a mac similar to my spec. I've also restored my mac from a time machine backup so it's definitely not the OS or even program itself that is causing problems.
Anonymous
Not applicable
NStocks wrote:
I'm trying to start from scratch.. the first slab I place creates problems.
Are you using the magic wand? If so, don't.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Krippahl wrote:
NStocks wrote:
I'm trying to start from scratch.. the first slab I place creates problems.
Are you using the magic wand? If so, don't.
I've copied all the buildings and roofs (buildings are just slabs and roofs SEO'ed)

I did use the magic want for the first project file for the roads which worked fine. I then copied that same road to the new project and it's causing problems.

I now have a file with the context buildings and rail tracks that seems to be working just fine. I've added a slab to cover the entire area (rectangular slab)and now the file has crashed.

Should I upload this file as it seems that slabs over a larger area are very problematic (though slabs creating small building are fine)... Or it could be the slab is interacting with the rail tracks...

Screenshot showing the parts that work fine...
Anonymous
Not applicable
NStocks wrote:
Or it could be the slab is interacting with the rail tracks...
Sounds likely.

BTW, you can do the buildings with meshes. It's faster, and avoids SEOs.
Anonymous
Not applicable
That's a good tip about using meshes to created buildings!

I've placed a slab quite far away from the rails and I still experience the same issues.

I've also placed the slab on a different layer but that has no effect.

Just had an idea! Why not use the mesh as the ground, instead of a slab... IT WORKS! I have placed a huge mesh across the site and it loads just fine.

Is there anyway that I could send this file to someone (at Graphisoft) for a answer as to why slabs will not load?
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
NStock has sent me the file so I checked it out.
On my computer the 3D is generated in less then 11 seconds so I could not see any problem.
My computer is a Core 2 Duo and is almost 3 years old so yours is much stronger.

There are a few things or suggestions I would make:
1. You are saying that the site (and the roads) are Slabs, but really they are Meshes. You made it out of a Mesh, not a Slab. Try to make the site and the roads out of Slabs instead of a Mesh, if it will stay flat.

See if that helps anything, if not, I will have some other suggestions.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27