cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Profiler process

Tom Krowka
Booster
Love that profiler tool. But, how do I save the profile for use again. Also, once I get that profile back into the drawing, how do I start the profile extrusion drawing process.

Thanks,
Tom
Tom Krowka Architect
Windows 11, AC Version 26
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
13 REPLIES 13
Djordje
Ace
Tom wrote:
Love that profiler tool. But, how do I save the profile for use again. Also, once I get that profile back into the drawing, how do I start the profile extrusion drawing process.
The profile is saved as a library part - and you supposedly know where you saved it - so just load that folder as a part of your library if you want to re-use it.

If you need to save the cross section, save it as a module, in an office or project specific folder. The best way to define the cross section is of course the fill.

You can draw the path, if all the segments are straight, or extrude along a drawn path (best to use if curved segments are needed).

The method asks for some practice, but you will get the hang of it soon ...
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Tom Krowka
Booster
Actually, that works fine for a specific object. I'm trying to create a fairly complex brick watertable shape that is 20" high that goes around the whole building. I can use the profiler fine if I don't stop anywhere around the building. If I do, it terminates the process, then save the extrusion as an object.

What I'd like to do is be able to start and stop again, either on this drawing or other drawings without going through the first part of the profiler process, namely grouping the section, etc. to get to the actual extrusion proces.

Is is possible?

Thanks,
Tom
Tom Krowka Architect
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
Tom Krowka
Booster
Also, can I stretch or move node on the extrusion after it's placed?

TK
Tom Krowka Architect
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
Dwight
Newcomer
How important are the intersections?

Don't you really need a slightly different condition at outside corners?

A simple stretchy object can be made of a slab made to the shape you need and a nominal thickness.

Take a 3d elevation from the side you wish to be the top and save the 3D model as a library part to produce a stretchy extrusion object.

At inside corners you overlap them - at outside corners you use a corner object.

Cheap and nasty, but will produce an adaptable library of parts.
Dwight Atkinson
Dwight
Newcomer
Pawleys Island? Wasn't there a big Civil War battle there?
Dwight Atkinson
Tom Krowka
Booster
Thanks for the tips. No Civil War battle here, but we are about 40 miles north of Charleston, SC, where the so called "War of Northern Agression" began.

Tom
Tom Krowka Architect
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
David Collins
Advocate
Tom wrote:
What I'd like to do is be able to start and stop again... Is is possible?
One thing you can do is create the profile object going continuously all around your building and then slice it up using Solid Elements Operations. You basically place a slab wherever you want to interrupt the profile and using SEO, you can remove those portions. You'd keep the slabs hidden on a dedicated layer and you can move them around if you need to adust the gaps.

David Collins
David Collins

Win10 64bit Intel i7 6700 3.40 Ghz, 32 Gb RAM, GeForce RTX 3070
AC 27.0 (4001 INT FULL)
Djordje
Ace
Tom wrote:
What I'd like to do is be able to start and stop again, either on this drawing or other drawings without going through the first part of the profiler process, namely grouping the section, etc. to get to the actual extrusion proces.
Hmmmm ... not really. BUT - download ArchiForma from www.cigraph-store.com, adn try its profiling. Much friendlier, not constrained to one plane, editable after creating.

HTH,
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
vfrontiers
Enthusiast
Djordje wrote:
Tom wrote:
Hmmmm ... not really. BUT - download ArchiForma from www.cigraph-store.com, adn try its profiling. Much friendlier, not constrained to one plane, editable after creating.

HTH,
I don't see a great advantage here. You will have to DRAW the PATH regardless of whether you can start or stop with profiler. I have been profiling a bit today and it SOOOOOOO easy that the couple of extra clicks I don't mind.

I would, however, like to be able to move a path node without having to RE-DO the profile. I have asked and it may be eminent that STRETCHY HOTSPOTS will be a part of the profiler's path in the future.
Duane

Visual Frontiers

AC25 :|: AC26 :|: AC27
:|: Enscape3.4:|:TwinMotion

DellXPS 4.7ghz i7:|: 8gb GPU 1070ti / Alienware M18 Laptop