Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Railings and Stairs in AC21

terzer
Contributor
Hello,
today I downloaded the new Archicad 21. It works great, but I have few questions:
In the video "Modeling the Stairs on Robson Square – Classics Remodeled in ARCHICAD" we can see the new stair tool being used to create ramps. I can't find how to do this.

My second question is how to create profiled rail.

I spent two hours just looking for those things (which ignited my interest in AC21 in the first place)
Thanks!
26 REPLIES 26
terzer
Contributor
That's it!!
Thank you!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi, I tried to create ramps with Lazlo's instructions and use on mesh.
Stair does not gravitate on anything even on mesh. Rail does and produces nice ramps following mesh.

Stairs when we draw in 3D they work like having the height or the riser value locked. So you cannot click between two arbitrary points and get a stair structure that is based only on length and differnce in height, taking in cosiderations only the maximum riser limit, thus giving us the abiltity to create landscaping stairs were sometimes have long treads, sometimes enen slightly inclined.
2017-07-02_11h54_14.png
Barry Kelly
You can untick the rules (in the stair settings) that control how the stair will be constructed.
You can also turn off the lock for the tread (going) depth so it is flexible.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Barry,

I did try all these, it is nor that flexible, it locks the riser height thus resulting in certain inclination, does not play with the range of riser. Maybe the problem is in RC1 release, still haven't got my upgrade.

And by the way, I was thinking that this should be implemented for the concrete stair structure. Also to control if the difference in height is very small and the length of tread large, to turn to ramp for that segment.

Regards
Barry Kelly
I re-read your post and I think the problem is that you can't specify the height as you place the stair (I may be wrong).
As far as I can see you have to know the exact height or link it to a storey height before placing the stair.
Of course it can be adjusted afterwards by simply typing the correct height in (I can't see any way of dragging it in 3D).
As I say I may be wrong - I will have to watch through the movies again.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,

Playing around with the new rail tool I ended up in this profiled rail tool cut design (it’s a non-closed square, in witch and as we understand, plan angles are at 90º) (see fist sketch plz.).

Changing the heights of the proposed, I constantly (even if associated or not to meshes and so on…and on) ended up as in the second skecth demonstrates.

The profile used is a simple rectangle and the resulting rail is subtracted from several components (handrail, etc.). Balusters and panels are set to invisible.

The exercise was made using handrail or a top rail and, as you can see,
the resulting cut geometry is not correct (does not stand vertical)

So my question is:
I’m I doing something wrong or is it a bug?

Thanks, in advance!
Anonymous
Not applicable
@ruy,
If you are asking if the section should show your profile exactly as you designed it no, it shouldn't look as you designed it if the profile is inclined.
The profile is perpendicular to the extrusion line.

Exploring your example and idea of trench came to me. Looks promising.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Sir ispyridis :

Thank you for your interest on this matter, and...

Yep!
….well done, that’s the inherited potential of this new tool.

Regarding my previous post and as we can see, forcing 90º between transitions of the profiled rail tool (with different heights) leads to strange resulting geometry.
Anonymous
Not applicable
In my example I use the rail not toprail nor handrail. no gosenecks nothing. and you can see all nodes are very clear even with a quite complex profile.
the nodes are at right angles on plan but at different altitudes.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
ispyridis wrote:
Hi Barry,

I did try all these, it is nor that flexible, it locks the riser height thus resulting in certain inclination, does not play with the range of riser. Maybe the problem is in RC1 release, still haven't got my upgrade.

And by the way, I was thinking that this should be implemented for the concrete stair structure. Also to control if the difference in height is very small and the length of tread large, to turn to ramp for that segment.

Regards
A single Stair's Risers Height and Going Depth is always the same when it is placed. In Edit Mode it is possible to move all Risers to some other position (please note that this will not modify the Structure), and it is also possible to select any Tread and modify the tread Height individually.

However, what I would do is I would probably model such a Stair using multiple Stair elements.

By the way, a Stair is not associated to a Mesh and Gravity is not available as an option when placing Stairs.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27