Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Real Curves in Archicad

Anonymous
Not applicable
Happy new Year everyone God Bless you in this new year!

I'm have a problem with segmented geometry in elevation. In the office I work we are designing a classic building with a lot of details and a lot of rounded things (see the attached pics) and all rounded geometry is segmented in elevations and sections, and 1st it doesn't look good, 2nd I can't measure radius of the rounded windows, 3rd this bring workarounds that I need to make to get things right and to look professional.
See the attachments how everything is segmented.

And my question is, Is there a way to make this geometry as real curves without segmentation and that I can take radius from it?
The first pic is the main elevation

123456.PNG
25 REPLIES 25
Anonymous
Not applicable
This is A close up to a part of the round window
Anonymous
Not applicable
And this is a section of the main crown in the main hall, was made with a beam and complex profile.
See how everything is supposed to be curved is segmented.
23456.PNG
David Maudlin
Rockstar
arqrivas:

There is not much you can do about the curve resolution in Complex Profiles, see this thread for an example: Custom Profile.
If the Objects and Windows are coded in GDL, then there are a few GDL commands (Resol, Toler, Radius) that control the curve resolution.
Sometimes when needing to dimension a segmented elevation element like you show, I will add an arc (Arc/Circle Tool) over the segmented element, this allows use of the Radial Dimension Tool.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
You will not need to settle for the unacceptable curve resolution you are showing. I will post some examples soon.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you, David and Steve.
I've been a little busy, that's why my late response.
The custom windows are not made in GDL, but with slabs and besides that there are Details in the facade made with morph that are also giving me problems with the curves.

I also drew arcs to get this radius this time. Arc will be fine from time to time, but in this office the designs are that style and we're going to have a lot of curves and arched windows.
I wish I could find a good workflow in how to work out these designs in Archicad. If someone has any experience with this type of projects I will appreciate some tips and tricks. Thanks for your help.
Smooooooth- yes. Zoom in on this Morph. But the poly count may be off the charts.

http://screencast.com/t/kXnOMYgd

http://screencast.com/t/itwKlm2The

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes!!! Very Smooth This is great.

The only issue would be the amount of polygons, how slow will the computer move with this amount of polygons just in details!!

I wish GS work in this to make this curves work better and that the curves are translated as curves and not small segments.
Here are some examples.

The first one was made in the Profile Manager - the rounded part is as smooth as possible by stretching an edge of the fill with the Curve Edge pop-up.

The resulting Profile is unusable if you ask me. Not nearly smooth enough.
2016-01-14_15-54-24.png

Anonymous
Not applicable
That's exactly my problem!

Is there any way to solve or workaround that?