Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Rectangular Cut Roof Eave

Anonymous
Not applicable
I just want all my roofs to have a rectangular cut eave. I see the option in the roof wizard but I do not want to deal with creating rafters also. How do I do this?
13 REPLIES 13
Do you mean this?

If so,

Place the true-thickness roof.
Place a slab for the soffit. Line it up with the top of the roof.
Set the roof edge angle to horizontal.
OR
Do a solid element op. Target: roof. Operator: slab. Subtract downward.

A plain roof element by itself can't do it.

HTH,
James Murray

Archicad 27 • Rill Architects • macOS • OnLand.info
Anonymous
Not applicable
THANK YOU. IT HELPS BUT NOT TO FIND OUT ITS NOT OBJECT DRIVEN.
Anonymous
Not applicable
You may consider "Fast Cornice" from Objects online.. Considering AC's age there are some VERY common methods/building elements that are absent..
Anonymous
Not applicable
I agree that this tool needs attention! I understand Jamesm suggestion but, how would you handle the situation when you get to the gable end and the fascia is more like 8" instead of 12"?? This has bothered us for a long time.

Chris
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes Chris... I feel like a kid in class reluctant to raise my hand for such a mundane request (hint.. wish list). I am so buried in work (95% still in Datacad) while learning AC to go through hoops like these.. Still haven't figured a clean 2 story wall with windows crossing floors.. hopefully in archives somewhere..
Anonymous
Not applicable
Rashid wrote:
Yes Chris... I feel like a kid in class reluctant to raise my hand for such a mundane request (hint.. wish list). I am so buried in work (95% still in Datacad) while learning AC to go through hoops like these.. Still haven't figured a clean 2 story wall with windows crossing floors.. hopefully in archives somewhere..
The walls with crossing windows was covered pretty well about a month or two ago. You might still find it in the older topics.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Matthew,

I found it. Incidentally you were the author.. So basically the dummy is there for the floor plan? I drew this with the 2 story wall starting on the lower level.. looks fine on the model but that section of wall is blank on the upper level plan.. It is not possible to tell AC to show that wall on the upper level plan? Sorry to bother you.
window wall.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
The tall wall needs to be split between the two floors. Put the actual window in the top (with a negative sill height) to get the right wall hole, and the dummy window in the wall below.
Chris wrote:
...how would you handle the situation when you get to the gable end and the fascia is more like 8" instead of 12"?? This has bothered us for a long time.
Me too. It bothers me less now that we have solid ops. I still wish the roof tool were more roof-like, but in the meantime...

Here's one way to handle a gable end.

1. Run your thick roof out to the proper overhang at the gable. Place another roof: same slope, with a thickness of "MainRoof minus FasciaWidth". Its width should be the overhang distance, against the wall on one side, and the roof edge on the other.

2. Look at the gable end using a section window. Drag the cutting roof up or down so the bottom lines up with the bottom of the main roof. (Image rake1.jpg)

3. Do the Solid Op, using the cutter to subtract down from the main roof. You can use "Inherit attributes of operator" to make the side material match the wall. (Caveat: horizontal vector fills such as siding and shingles won't work; they slope. Ugly.)

Continued...(Why can't I attach two images?)
rake1.jpg
James Murray

Archicad 27 • Rill Architects • macOS • OnLand.info