Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Rhino (nurbs) to Archicad workflow

Wlad222
Booster

Hello everyone,

I'm reaching out to the community for some advice on a workflow issue I'm encountering. I'm a frequent user of Rhino, particularly for furniture design, and I often import my Rhino models into Archicad. I ensure that I export clean solids from Rhino, not meshes, and typically import them through interoperability by merging files.

This process works well as my Rhino file is segmented into GDL elements by layer and object, and each solid in Rhino becomes a GDL object in Archicad.The great part is that these imported objects offer an option for morph segmentation, allowing adjustments from high to low poly, which is fantastic for performance tuning. However, I'm facing a challenge with managing a large number of objects—around 50 in my current project. Here are the issues I'm dealing with:

1. Grouping and Managing Objects: While I can group objects to work with them collectively, this method is quite cumbersome and slow, especially with a large number of objects.
  2. Creating New GDL Objects: I can create new GDL objects from existing ones, which gives me control over lines and surfaces. However, the downside is that I lose the ability to control segmentation. This is problematic because once a new GDL object is created, I can't update it or change the poly count for rendering purposes.

I'm looking for a workaround or a more efficient method to manage these objects without losing the ability to adjust segmentation. I came across a similar discussion on the Graphisoft community forum, but it primarily focused on materials, not segmentation.Segmentation is crucial for maintaining good performance in my projects, and any insights or suggestions you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Has anyone else encountered this issue, and if so, how did you resolve it?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Note: Archicad's built in morph tool does not have this segmentation ability built into properties. Only imported 3dm files. 

Note: Similar problem with materials community link 

Artboard 1@3x.png

0 REPLIES 0