Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Roof Tool - Barrel Vault

Vitruvius
Booster
I've just started on AC 10 and am creating a barrel vaulted roof.

I was kind of hoping Graphisoft would get their act together and allow us to eliminate the interior lines - this tool still behaves like something out of 1996. Is there a way to turn off those lines?

Picture 1.png
Cameron Hestler, Architect
Archicad 27 / Mac Studio M1 Max - 32 GB / LG24" Monitors / 14.5 Sonoma
20 REPLIES 20
TomWaltz wrote:
I posted this thought somewhere else today: Any reason why you could not make a Profile out of that, then draw it with the beam or wall tools?
I just tried this. Only issue is that top & bottom materials are hard to control. (I don't know if it's a bug, or what, but I could only get the end materials to change.)
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight wrote:
Or what about the parametric primitive "Conoid?"
Doesn't that require the consumption of mass quantities? But I don't think they'd like being called primitive.
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Can you use the V10 profiler of the wall tool?
I posted this thought somewhere else today: Any reason why you could not make a Profile out of that, then draw it with the beam or wall tools?
Using complex profiles doesn't eliminate the problem. You'll still get a segmented profile [Edit: in shading mode], even if it does have less segments.

We all hear what Cameron is saying though, and what the common wish is - GS give us true curves for all the tools in ArchiCAD!

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes please. Been trying to build a curved walkway with a sloping roof butting up to a curved wall. Ended up just doing it with lots of small controllable roof facets. Not perfect but good enough for now.
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Yes please. Been trying to build a curved walkway with a sloping roof butting up to a curved wall. Ended up just doing it with lots of small controllable roof facets. Not perfect but good enough for now.
The Mesh to Roof add-on wasn't suited to the task? Still nowhere near as good as true curves though!

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hadn't thought of that. But this is my result - about 12 facets between each pair of columns, and reasonably easy to edit at junctions with other roofs......
Perf Arts.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
S t u a r t,
Why didn't you use the mesh tool to make this kind of roof ?
(see attachment)
Also, how did you hide the edges of each of the 12 rooflets ?

If you don't mind me asking.
Peter Devlin
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Oh I see the shape you were trying to create now. Yes, Mesh to Roof is probably not the best solution there - too many planes.

A simple mesh would have done the job, like Peter said, although I doubt it would have given you very good material texture control.

If only it were easier!

Cheers,
Link.
Vitruvius
Booster
Thanks for the input - seems the consensus is that this tool doesn't work!!

I experimented with the various fiddles and I think the 'wall fudge' suggested by Aussie John wins. Attached is a complex profile wall with an opening inserted. I'll still have to create a custom opening with sill/head perpendicular to the ground rather than parallel to it but as a fudge it works.

Note that on the AC Barrel Vault the segment lines don't appear on the fascia - so GS has halfway addressed the problem. How about taking this one over the finish line GS?

Cheers.
Picture 1.png
Cameron Hestler, Architect
Archicad 27 / Mac Studio M1 Max - 32 GB / LG24" Monitors / 14.5 Sonoma
Anonymous
Not applicable
Peter,

I hadn't thought to use the mesh tool as I have found it difficult to manipulate in the past (although I am getting more familiar with it), and hadn't realised I could curve the edges to get the shape I wanted. Now I know, I'll give it a go!

Thanks for the heads-up.

EDIT: Ah, but as Link points out, texture control will be an issue (asphaltic shingles, really need to have them follow the roof plane).

(And I had simply shown contours "off" in the OpenGL 3D window)