cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Starting August 6, 2024, TLS 1.2 will be the minimum required protocol version for Graphisoft products and services that require an online connection. Learn more…
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Roof composite structures

Anonymous
Not applicable
ArchiCad needs to treat roof surfaces like walls. There should be a way to construct a roof composite, such as built up roof over insulation over concrete over metal deck.

This would make sections a lot easier to draw!

Joe LoBasso
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable
LoBasso wrote:
ArchiCad needs to treat roof surfaces like walls. There should be a way to construct a roof composite, such as built up roof over insulation over concrete over metal deck.
? I've lost you? What are you saying exactly?
There are composites that you could apply too roofs.
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Composites can be applied to walls, roofs and slabs. They're not exactly perfect, but it's a start.

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Have you discovered that you can make a composite from what-ever fill patterns you wish? Once you do this you can apply your composite construction to a wall, a slab or a roof. There are no rules here, you are free to create what-ever you need.

For instance in the case of a flat roof (using the slab tool), it makes sense to create a composite of the sheathing, deck, insulation etc. just as it does with a wall or a slab. In the case of pitched, tiled roof construction though, I prefer to model the components separately (unless it's just for scheme design) - this results in accurate sections.

Hope this helps.
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Philip wrote:
Have you discovered that you can make a composite from what-ever fill patterns you wish? Once you do this you can apply your composite construction to a wall, a slab or a roof. There are no rules here, you are free to create what-ever you need.
Strictly speaking, composites can only use fills that belong to the Cut Fills category.
Philip wrote:
For instance in the case of a flat roof (using the slab tool), it makes sense to create a composite of the sheathing, deck, insulation etc. just as it does with a wall or a slab. In the case of pitched, tiled roof construction though, I prefer to model the components separately (unless it's just for scheme design) - this results in accurate sections.
Agreed. That's also what I meant about not being perfect. Usually the structure outside the wall is different to the structure inside the wall. Add to that the fascia/soffit system and composites start to fall down rather quickly.

Cheers,
Link.
Cut-Fills.jpg