BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Roof eave texture / fill

enjoystick1
Booster

Hi everyone!

Ran into a problem with texture orientation on the roof eave. Was scratching my head for a couple of hours, but couldn't find a solution.

The texture and fill seem to be perpendicular to the roof-sloped surface by default. How on earth can one align this to be fe. vertical, ie. aligned with the wall texture and fill? Tried many trim, SEO operations and combinations but non of it was successful. Quite a bummer is the fact that the align - rotate texture tool doesn't work for the roof edges :/. 

Will be grateful for any ideas!

Petr

Screenshot 2022-10-05 at 20.24.00.png

6 REPLIES 6
ryejuan
Advisor

Have you tried this settings?

ryejuan_0-1665028112001.png

In the end what is your Objective?
ArchiCAD 9 onwards
Barry Kelly

Generally speaking (at least in my experience), you would have a barge board and capping covering the edge of the roof for waterproofing - so you wouldn't see that edge.

However, if the wall does indeed go up to the underside of the roof sheeting, then I would make a composite for the roof, with a thin top skin for the sheeting and a thicker skin (or skins) for the structure.

Then make the roof sheeting (top skin) building material have a higher strength than the building materials you use in the outer skin of the wall.

The structural skin of the roof should be weaker than the wall.

Now when you trim the wall to the roof it should go up to the underside of the roof sheeting skin.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Hi Ryejuan,

yep I have. Sadly this works for the roof main surface only! Not the edges (or at least in my AC 25).

Hi Berry,

thanks for the reply. I think most contemporary houses don't have that covering board, but anyway, software shouldn't limit the design approach.  The composite is actually the only way I managed this, it just feels too cumbersome to use for a concept study. But maybe inevitable...? IMHO better fill/texture manipulation on all possible elements is a must! I don't understand why all wall surfaces should allow for texture manipulation and not the roof edge.

2642c18c011172883693366a6742c16f.jpeg

@enjoystick1 wrote:

Hi Berry,

thanks for the reply. I think most contemporary houses don't have that covering board,

Even that image you show has a small capping/flashing?

The problem is you have modelled the roof quite thick, I assume to allow for the structure and the roof surface - all as 1 composite.

In real life it is not all one element.

Model the roof surface separately as a thin layer as it really is, and don't include the structure (rafters).

That just means you have to allow for the structure and model that separately if needed.

That is why the building material strengths are important when it comes to joining composites.

I agree, it would be nice to be able to align the texture on the sides of roofs.

Also on each side independently - change one side and the other side changes as well.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Just as Barry says: »Model as built«

That fixes this, because the boards are part of the wall certainly, not of the roof!

Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»
Learn and get certified!