Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Roofs connexion

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello I'm getting crazy on an issue

I can't connect 2 single pan roofs.By connecting I mean I would like those 2 pan to act together like a multiplan roof (that would let me crop wall by those 2 pan at a same time)

I've tried the solution of :
-select roof
-cmd (osX) + click on other roof

That do nothing more ...

You can find my project file there (ArchiCad 18):

https://app.box.com/s/4y5637ay7sghkf38z8k057kziky8d01p
14 REPLIES 14
You need to learn how to use Solid Element Operations, and also how to set clean up strenght of Building Materials.

Also upload you file as a .pla instead of a .pln

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
arthuragone,

After you did that, select both Roofs, click the common edge (the ridge) and use the Custom Edge Settings button of the Pet Palette. Then use the Set Mitred Edge button.

Then they should be able to Crop Walls properly.

Alternately, you could very easily create this using a multi-plane Roof. Draw a rectangle shaped multi-plane Roof, which will have 4 planes. Then set the two opposite planes to Gable, then set the slopes of the other remaining two planes to the desired angle values.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Steve wrote:
You need to learn how to use Solid Element Operations, and also how to set clean up strenght of Building Materials.

Also upload you file as a .pla instead of a .pln
Here you are: https://app.box.com/s/mzsb2a3brqywbwhekymhx54rm023bdwf
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello laszlonagy, thanks for the help, I selected both roof, clicked on the common edge (ridge) and clicked on the Custom Edge setting button.
But can't find what you said next: the set mitrer edge button?

Edit: ok, I tried another couple of time and found the right ridge to click at then the button appear. 😎
Now my 2 plans have a nice joint at the ridge, but the still act "separately" and I still can't trim my wall by the entire roof ... 😞

Regarding your Alternate method, It work pretty well, but in this case, I can't find how to have one edge at an altitude (let say 5,00m) and the other edge at another height (let say 3 meters) ?
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
arthuragone wrote:
Hello laszlonagy, thanks for the help, I selected both roof, clicked on the common edge (ridge) and clicked on the Custom Edge setting button.
But can't find what you said next: the set mitrer edge button?

Edit: ok, I tried another couple of time and found the right ridge to click at then the button appear.
Now my 2 plans have a nice joint at the ridge, but the still act "separately" and I still can't trim my wall by the entire roof ...
See the attached image for setting the common edge to mitred.
If it is correctly done, they should crop elements properly.
SetMitredEdge.png
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
arthuragone wrote:
Regarding your Alternate method, It work pretty well, but in this case, I can't find how to have one edge at an altitude (let say 5,00m) and the other edge at another height (let say 3 meters) ?
In case of multi-plane Roofs, the Pivot line (the blue line in the attached image) must always be at the same height for all Roof plane.
MultiPlaneRoofPivotLine.png
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you again laszlonagy for your time.

Ok, so I can't use a multiplan roof to achieve what I want.
Then I have to use 2 single plan roof and connect them together by the way you told me before.
But in this case how do I trim my walls by the entire roof?

I've tried it and even if I group together the 2 pans, the triming option is only active with one or another of the pan ...
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Two methods:

1. In 2D or 3D select both Roofs and all Walls you wish to trim. Right-click and use the Crop to Single-plane Roof command.
This will create a non-associative cropping, which means that if you move the Roofs the cut of the Wall will not be updated based on their new position.

2. In 2D or 3D select both Roofs and all Walls you wish to trim. Right-click and use the Connect\Trim Elements to Roof/Shell command.
This will create an associative trimming, which means that if you move the Roofs the cut of the Wall will be updated based on their new position because each Roof and each trimmed Wall are associated with each other.
Anonymous
Not applicable
GENIUS !

Thanks a LOT !

Now I only have to dismiss little problems like insulation visible on top of the roof. I guess it's a question of priority of visualisation.