Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Rotating the workspace???

Anonymous
Not applicable
Is it possible to rotate the workspace as in other applications such as autocad etc?

or does this go on the wish list for ACX??
11 REPLIES 11
fuzzytnth3
Booster
wook wrote:
Is it possible to rotate the workspace as in other applications such as autocad etc?

or does this go on the wish list for ACX??
Can't say I've ever needed to. In the 3d window you can rotate to your hearts content. In the 2d window I just rotate the the model to my preferred orientation and then xref it into a site model and rotate the xref to suit the site. That way you don't have to draw at weird angles.

Of course you can rotate the co-ordinate system with the Skewed grid option and that way draw relative to a certain angle if say the building has a wing that is at a different angle usually thats all it needs.
AC versions 3.41 to 25 (UKI Full 5005).
Using AC25 5005 UKI FULL
Mac OSX 10.15.7 (19G2021) Mac Pro-2013 32gbRam AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB graphics
Anonymous
Not applicable
Sorry, you cannot do it in AC, Wook
Sometimes I prefer to draw my elevations in 2d with lines and fills - in such cases I alwully miss this option which Autocad has. Being both Ac and Autocad user I can say this a shortcoming for AC.
Anonymous
Not applicable
fuzzytnth3 wrote:
Can't say I've ever needed to.
We don't _often_ need to, but if you have a building with more than one axis then it would be 'nice' (as per acad and other programs) to be able to rotate the plan view.

I wonder if we'll get a little UCS in the bottom-left of our screens?

Seriously - it has been a loooooong-standing wish that hasn't unfortunately made it into 9. I'm not sure why - it would be very easy to do - just a button / pop up next to the zoom scale on the BOTTOM toolbar (GS - this is a hint!)

Until then we continue to kink our necks.

- Stuart
Anonymous
Not applicable
Fastum Gel helps, Stuart.
For the neck...
Anonymous
Not applicable
kliment wrote:
Fastum Gel helps, Stuart. For the neck...
We've also tried putting books under one edge of the monitor. But then
a) the coffee cup on top of the monitor slides off and makes a *horrible* mess, and
b) working with the mouse is wEiRd.

My g/f is going shopping tomorrow. I've asked her to pick up some Fastum Gel. I will report back on the neck massage.

- Stuart
Anonymous
Not applicable
You have my vote on rotating workspace. There has been many times I would love to rotate the workspace. It would really help to see your plan from different angles. There has been many times I have improved my design after I printed it and rotated the sheet to see it in a new direction. I feel it would be an improvement everyone would enjoy having once the option was made available.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Options > Grids and Background > Skewed grid...... is this not what you're after. Save money on gel.
Anonymous
Not applicable
If it would give you the option to rotate all existing work to the skewed angle that would be what I would like to see. It takes looking at a model from different angles to improve elevations. I believe it takes the same to improve a floor plan (without the chance of injuring your neck.) Example:
a house that has been designed from the front of the house will flow different if it were designed from the back of the house.
Djordje
Ace
Hm, I think I know what Stuart wants ...

Skewed grid is OK, but - wish? - we should be able to set the view to the skewed grid. "Just" another parameter in the View setting? Like in AutoCAD - you align the view with the current UCS.

If you have multiple buildings on the site, then the module system works well (been there, done that ...) If the multi angles are in the same building, then a massage and tiger balm are necessary. Not that massage is not necessary anyway ...

... especially if you are stretched between more than one place ...
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen