Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Select & edit element (AC10) where adjoining element exi

Pete
Newcomer
I love 10 so far, but I'm getting stuck on basic stuff.

When I select an element and then try to grab a node or edge for editing, adjacent elements get selected instead.

Using the tool of the selected element versus the arrow makes no difference. I also tried the spacebar. There must be a setting somewhere or new technique for this. Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Pete Read
ArchiCAD 12; Artlantis Studio 2
MacBook Pro 2.4 Core2Duo, 2GB, OSX(10.5) and XPpro(SP3)
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable
Have you tried using the tab key. It scrolls through all available elements under the pointer, highlighting them. Click when the info window and highlighting shows the element you are trying for.

This has already become real helpful for me. I try to do it when working in 9...
Pete
Newcomer
Yes, the Tab is useful to identify what will be selected but when I try to grab the edge or corner of the selected element to edit with the pet palette, the adjacent element becomes selected every time.
It's driving me crazy!
Pete Read
Anonymous
Not applicable
Are you moving the pointer before you try to click on the highlighted object?

If I keep the mouse immobile the proper element gets selected. If I move the mose before I click then it becomes more of a crap shoot...
Pete
Newcomer
OK Greg, I have the tab method working using a slab next to a wall. It would be great if the selected element had priority, as editing is why I selected it.

Thanks,
Pete Read
Pete
Newcomer
Part of the problem is I was trying to edit the edges of a Zone. I still can't get that accomplished. The new Zone stamp doesn't seem to allow manual re-shaping.
Pete Read
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yeah. I ran into that. Zones can be highlighted and selected but can only be edited if you turn the zone category fill on via the display options.
Anonymous
Not applicable
g.h.design wrote:
Yeah. I ran into that. Zones can be highlighted and selected but can only be edited if you turn the zone category fill on via the display options.
Yes, it's only possible to edit elements (or parts of them) that are displayed. If zone polygon display is turned off they cannot be modified. It is a little confusing now in 10 since the zone is highlighted when selected, but it is otherwise consistent with everything else.
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
It looks like we can turn off the Zone's Cover Fill, Background and Stamp! That can't be good can it?

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
i'm having a similar problem w/ 10:

with the arrow tool, if the magnet is on, and i have an object selected, i cannot edit it's nodes or edges with the pet palette- instead it selects a neighboring object.

if the magnet is off, i can use the pet palette, BUT i cannot select any objects by clicking their borders or corners only if i draw a box. problem is- i end up selecting multiple objects and then can't use the pet palette.

I have 2 computers running 10, this is happening to only one of them, the other works normally.

is there a preference i haven't found?