cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Shift constrain with tracker

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi There
I work with AC14 on a PC at work and on a mac at home.
At work if I am drawing a line and I shift tab with the tracker the line constrains itself to horizontal until I input my coordinates in. On the mac hitting shift and then tab will not constrain it in the same way so that when I take my finger off the shift key it will move off of 90 degrees. Would someone be able to let me know what Im doing wrong.
Thankyou.
4 REPLIES 4
David Maudlin
Rockstar
luked:

One option is to hit the "x" key to select the x coordinate in the tracker after holding down the Shift key to constrain. Another option is to turn on Guidelines, a horizontal guideline will appear to constrain the direction, then tab into the x coordinate in the tracker.

You should add a Signature to your Profile (click the Profile button near the top of this page) with your ArchiCAD version and operating system (see mine for an example) for more accurate help in this forum.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi David
Thankyou for your help.
What you suggest does work it just involves a couple more key strokes than when im doing it on the pc where hitting the tab key locks the constrain into position after having constrained it then the next key stroke is the dimension not the coordinate. Not a biggy I guess just seems an odd difference and wasnt sure if it was a mac/pc thing.
Will update signature as suggested.
David Maudlin
Rockstar
luked:

I cannot replicate on my Mac the behavior you describe on the PC. Maybe there is a Work Environment setting (WE > User Preference Schemes > Tracker and Coordinate Input or Mouse Constraints and Methods). You could also try exporting your PC WE Scheme and importing it to the Mac; but this behavior might be a difference between the Mac and PC so you will need to alter your method between the 2 platforms.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks again David. Still no luck though. Starting to get to me. On my PC if I hit shift while drawing a line it jumps to 90degrees and with one hit of the tab key im able to take my finger off the shift key and have the line stay at 90 while having the numerical input start in the 'distance' space. Why should this be different between mac and pc. Likely something which will continue to drive me slightly crazy for a while yet.