Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Sketchy drawings

KeesW
Advocate
Many of us think that initial sketch designs should look 'sketchy', tentative, and perhaps freehand, so that our clients don't think that our initial plans are final. Therefore ArchiSketchy (which we use) and wobbly lines are applied to rigid CAD drawings to create this illusion. But, is this true? Do clients think this or do we architects think that clients think this? What is the opinion on the forum?
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

cornelis wegman architects
AC 5 - 26 Dell XPS 8940 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD 2TB HD RTX 3070 GPU
Laptop: AC 24 - 26 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD RTX 3070 GPU
3 REPLIES 3
__archiben
Booster
KeesW wrote:
Do clients think this or do we architects think that clients think this? What is the opinion on the forum?
and what came first, the chicken or the egg?!

are you serious? doesn't it all come down to circumstance? we're in the business of communication: however that happens needs to be tailored to the particular people and purpose of the moment doesn't it? two different people (from large client bodies or even a husband and wife house client) may see two completely different things in the same presentation.

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Anonymous
Not applicable
As an old school architects, I am against "make believe".

Although I like some images generated by "sketchy" software, be it ArchiCad, ArchiSketchy, Piranesi or whatever, it has always bothered me that I have this very rigorous computer model and then I hide it behind a make believe hand drawing.

Of course, at certain times of a job, you can not be to specific, for instance with materials, otherwise you could alienate your client.

The way I handle this, I do some renderings in AC or ArtLantis, but I take away all the materials and use a generic "white paper" material, even for furniture.

Using a small angle camera, my model looks like a cardboard model, so it is quite enough to explain the volumetric idea without getting into any detail.

This works fine.

Like I said, the "make believe this is not a digital thing" bothers me deep down, and probably gets a negative subliminal message across: Digital things are not good enough.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Krippahl wrote:
As an old school architects, I am against "make believe".

Although I like some images generated by "sketchy" software, be it ArchiCad, ArchiSketchy, Piranesi or whatever, it has always bothered me that I have this very rigorous computer model and then I hide it behind a make believe hand drawing.

Of course, at certain times of a job, you can not be to specific, for instance with materials, otherwise you could alienate your client.

The way I handle this, I do some renderings in AC or ArtLantis, but I take away all the materials and use a generic "white paper" material, even for furniture.

Using a small angle camera, my model looks like a cardboard model, so it is quite enough to explain the volumetric idea without getting into any detail.

This works fine.

Like I said, the "make believe this is not a digital thing" bothers me deep down, and probably gets a negative subliminal message across: Digital things are not good enough.
Couldnt agree with you more. Weve all seen full CD's hand drawn, and weve all sketched stuf fon a computer before, the distinction between schematic and Full Documents lies somewhere else, other than in the separation of computer vs. paper.

I do the same thing that you do: I had to model a Theater with a balcony, and render an animation walking through it, post renovation. But were still in Schematic design, and didnt want anything to appear as *set in stone* for matierals / colors. I just gave everything a light green / tan finish with neutral material properties, and animated. They see the building *sketch* with out thinking its a finished design.

If i hand sketch a drawing, and its roughed out by hand, thats fine. But i wouldnt go out of my way to make it *look* that way, if i modeled it on a computer. The work i did is the work i did.