Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Slab edge differing surfaces

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have a project where I want two surfaces along the same slab edge. The way I've achieved this is building two slabs with the same thickness and elevation. However, In plan, it means I am left with a division line.

Any tips to avoid this? I'm currently resorting to either drawing a white fill in plan to cover up the division line, or setting the outline of the slab to a white pen colour so it becomes invisible. Both aren't really ideal

slab (Medium).jpg
6 REPLIES 6
Barry Kelly
With just one overall slab, add a node on the edge where you want the change.
This will give you 2 separate edges and then change the surfaces as you want.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Fantastic! Thank you!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Is there any functionality like the below that would apply to a wall? E.g. I have a single wall that goes past two rooms. I one room I want the surface to be a red colour, and the other room I want the surface to be a blue colour, but don't want to model two different walls.
Barry Kelly
Nope.
You either have to model two separate walls or place a thin wall (slab or column or morph surface) in front - but be careful how they might interact (trim) with each other).

You can add a node to the edge of a wall but this simply breaks the wall in 2 (or you could use the split tool).

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
OK thank you
And I assume the same applies with a single slab but wanting two different top surfaces / cover fills? I'd model a sliver of a slab and use a SEO or model two different slabs?
Barry Kelly
benjamin_chan wrote:
OK thank you
And I assume the same applies with a single slab but wanting two different top surfaces / cover fills? I'd model a sliver of a slab and use a SEO or model two different slabs?
Correct.
But you wouldn't necessarily need the SEO.
Model the main structural slab and then mode thin 'finish' slabs above it.
Or separate slabs as you mentioned where you can just change the top surface.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27