Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Stacking walls on one story

Anonymous
Not applicable
Does anyone have any advice on stacking walls for instance a concrete that goes up to lets say 4' with a wood framed wall above.

Should I make an intermediate story in between?

Thanks

Mo
7 REPLIES 7
Gerald Hoffman
Advocate
Mo,

I find it is usually easier to put walls on different storeys in this situation unless you want to see both walls at the same time in 2D. This is because when you have 2 walls in the same plane you can get some nasty cleanup issues unless you apply little work-arounds like reversing reference edges.
If you were to put another storey below for eg. you can set it to zero height to next so both have the same base height. This makes it easy to set heights for the walls on both storeys.

I'm sure you will find many opinions on this. I don't always do it the same way myself.

Cheers,
Gerald Hoffman
“The simplification of anything is always sensational” GKC
Archicad 4.55 - 27-6000 USA
2019 MacBook Pro-macOS 15.0 (64GB w/ AMD Radeon Pro 5600M GPU)
Barry Kelly
Or leave them all in the same storey but put them in different layers.

This way you can turn the layers on or off at will and the viewsets come in handy for doing this automatically if set up properly.

You can also control trimming problems with the layer intersection priority number.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
I also use a different layer strategy. I have a 3d only layer that holds elements that only show in my 3d views (sections, elevations, perspective model views). I dump a lot of stuff on this layer that does not need to show in my plan view.
TomWaltz
Participant
Mo wrote:
Does anyone have any advice on stacking walls for instance a concrete that goes up to lets say 4' with a wood framed wall above.

Should I make an intermediate story in between?

Thanks

Mo
It should be pretty easy to put them on the same story together as long as you (A) place them on separate layers and (B) make sure those layers have different intersection priorities.
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
Of course, just my 2 cents.....

Mo,

I Like walls on different Stories. Especially in your case. The Concrete Wall is "usually" on the Foundation Layer, but often for me it can be on a "Pony" level or "first" Story level in the case of a steeply sloped building site.

I like this method because then I can display the Foundation (Foundation Story) along with my Site Mesh (Datum story below Foundation story) in a 3D view with only these stories (Ctrl+Alt+A) and I see the Foundation. See Attached.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Another 2 cents....

Add the Pony Level
Anonymous
Not applicable
And so on....

As some say here, Model it like "they" build it.