Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Stair to fit curved / inclined wall

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi, I'm using AC12 on a Mac, and I'm working currently on a project in which I have some curved / inclined walls. On one of them I'd like to insert a monumental staircase that follows the curvature/inclination of the wall. Is there a way to do this? I'm not sure how....

Kind regards,

Peter -
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Peter,

Can you post a picture of the wall you are trying to apply the stair. You know... an image worth a thousand words. 😉

Cheers,

Paulo
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi, off course. The wall is a conoid shape basically. I've included an example.

Problem is that the profile of the wall changes, depending on elevation. I think I cannot use the function "create stair using selection", and also with the stair library I'm not sure if there is a solution.

Only option that may work is a SEO?

Hope you can help.

Peter -
Dwight
Newcomer
I needed an exercise before bed so perhaps i am an idiot for doing it the hard way, but I doubt that anyone could describe this in a script:

Since you'll probably want some fancy stair to go around such a fancy wall - like cantilevered treads, say:

use the rotate and multiply function to climb an array of stair tread slabs using the wall curve focus. Then displace three treads outward proportionate to the wall displacement in 3D. This is easy since you are sliding each slab along its axis. To get consistency, use the top, mid and bottom treads to establish the arc and move the other treads to align in plan.

As the treads move outward from the focus, naturally the rise/run will change so use deeper treads than i did because gaps appear near the top.

For a guard, use a fitted ramp like the ACE library Ramp C prism. The standard Curved ramp 13 seems to have some odd breakovers....

For a handrail use a copy of that ramp with the dimensions adjusted to suit..

So I'm an idiot for doing it the hard way.....
Dwight Atkinson
Rod Jurich
Contributor
Dwight wrote:
/......
So I'm an idiot for doing it the hard way.....
Rod Jurich
AC4.55 - AC14 INT (4204) |  | OBJECTiVE |
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi, Thanks for all your help.

One question: where can i find this ACE Library?

Peter -
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
Peter wrote:
Problem is that the profile of the wall changes, depending on elevation. I think I cannot use the function "create stair using selection", and also with the stair library I'm not sure if there is a solution.
I've scripted an object for this situation, including profiled perimeter, handrails, etc., but it's far from simple. I've attached a snippet from the project showing a cut-away into the central stair, which rose through an elliptical, conical central core and incorporated landings at irregular intervals. Contact me if you want something like this, but it would be done as a one-off exercise, i.e. I don't this this will be solved with generic parts.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Ralph, yes, this is roughly what I'm looking for, my wishes are simpler though, I think. I'm not sure what you are offering in your reply, a sharing offer or a commercial offer.

In the meantime I have managed to whip something together with SEO, a cone and slabs. Attached the result. I'll post a second pic in a moment.

Thanks for your help.

Peter -
Anonymous
Not applicable
with the cone hidden to see the result of SEO
Stair2.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
As a quick option.... If you have access to it, the Cadimage Stairmaker add-on object allows stair runs (and railings) with curved sides.

Haven't used it much, so not sure if it suits the situation with the cone, exactly.