cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
License Delivery maintenance is expected to occur on Saturday, October 19, between 4 and 6 PM CEST. This may cause a short 60-minute outage in which license-related tasks: license key upload, download, update, SSA validation, access to the license pool may not function properly. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.
SOLVED!

Stretch Relative/Absolute

Zdenko
Advocate

read most if not all of the posts i could find on stretching and have not been able to solve? i have a beam that simply needs to be stretched 12' on either end. seems yesterday stretching elements was not a problem. for some reason when i try to key in 12' it gives me either a stretch down near the origin of 0,0 or it gives me a beam that is exactly 12' long or it moves it to the left of the end point of the beam itself? i have gone bonkers selecting/deselecting switches in the tracker and work environments to the point i have no clue what is what anymore. any suggestions?

Operating system used: Mac Apple Silicon Sonoma 14.4.1

Archicad 27 5030 USA Full Apple
M3 Max 36GB MacBook Pro
iOS Sonoma 14.5
17 REPLIES 17

hey buddy appreciate all your help, but i give up!. my tracker changes from 3 lines (distance, angle to z) and sometimes it shows (distance, angle, x, y, z). tried to use "-" and still get the same inconsistencies. resorting to guidelines...

M3 Max 36GB MacBook Pro
iOS Sonoma 14.5

Hi @Zdenko,

In addition to all explained above by Barry I tried to show stretching technique in a short video, it may help more.

* I could stretch the wall by 2 ways, either typing the total desired length in Distance area or putting the distance I need to add to or subtract from the wall.

- For example, I need to stretch a wall = 2-meter length,

1) Select the wall, to see the reference line location.

2) Click on the black dot at the wall end, don't move or press shift.

3A) Type 3 in Distance area then it'll be 3-meter length, or type 1 to be 1-meter length.

OR

3B) If you type 0.43+ in distance area you get it 2.43-meter length, and if you type 0.43- you get it 1.57-meter length.

* As you see sometimes you need Archicad to calculate it for you.

** All this should be applied provided that you activated the Relative coordinates in tracker as Barry explained above.

*** Sorry if + & - are not shown in the window background but I hope you guess their positions correctly.

**** Pls watch the attached video below while applying the above-mentioned steps.

AC 27 INT 5060/WIN 11
AMD Ryzen 7 5800H with Radeon Graphics 3.20 GHz 16.0 GB

hi Mahmoud - generally speaking most of my stretching is related to increasing/decreasing the element by a specific distance as you have shown. looks like the "+" is working and understand but what am i doing wrong with the "-".

M3 Max 36GB MacBook Pro
iOS Sonoma 14.5

@Zdenko, I see you're using Mac, right?

Sorry I'm using win. so, I think you should manage this minus operation, try to put minus before the number & see if it's going well.

AC 27 INT 5060/WIN 11
AMD Ryzen 7 5800H with Radeon Graphics 3.20 GHz 16.0 GB

no problem and appreciate the assistance Mahmoud.

M3 Max 36GB MacBook Pro
iOS Sonoma 14.5
Solution

@Zdenko wrote:

hi Mahmoud - generally speaking most of my stretching is related to increasing/decreasing the element by a specific distance as you have shown. looks like the "+" is working and understand but what am i doing wrong with the "-".

Because you are Imperial measurements, I think you may have to type '-' twice.

i.e. 2 - -

The first minus is a shortcut for feet I believe.

I am not 100% sure, as I do not use Imperial measurements.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Solution

@Barry Kelly wrote:

@Zdenko wrote:

Because you are Imperial measurements, I think you may have to type '-' twice.

i.e. 2 - -

The first minus is a shortcut for feet I believe.

I am not 100% sure, as I do not use Imperial measurements.

Barry.

That is correct, need to type "-" twice.

David

David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14

thanks guys that was it.

M3 Max 36GB MacBook Pro
iOS Sonoma 14.5

Setup info provided by author