Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.
SOLVED!

Substract an elipse from a Zone

maurotrotta
Enthusiast

I need to substract an elipse form shape from a Zone. In the picture attached, the gray is the zone, and highlited is the area I need to substract. I can´t do it with the regular tools option I have to substract and add area for the zone. Any ideas?

maurotrotta_0-1723729546658.png

Operating system used: Windows

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution

If you are drawing zones with the manual construction method, then you will have to add/subtract areas with the pet palette options just like you would for any other polygon.

Manually drawn zones can not update automatically using zone boundaries.

You can use the magic wand to subtract areas.

In your example above though, you would have to draw the ellipse that you want to subtract.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Ricardo Lopez
Expert

Hi @maurotrotta 

You can draw the ellipse with the Arc/Circle drafting tool and activate Related To Zone to Zone Boundary. Then use the zone construction method of your choice. That ellipse can be in a hidden layer if you want.

RicardoLopez_0-1723730791074.png

Best regards.

M. Arch. Ricardo López
BIM Consultant | Project Solutions and Services | Panama
AC17-27 SPA+INT | Windows 11 | MSI CreatorPro M16 HX C14VJG, 64GB, Nvidia Quadro RTX 2000 Ada Generation

Thanks for answering. The problem I see with the method you described, is that it will actually only work if I use the zone construction method were I have to click in the center of the space and automatically the space area is detected. I am measuring plans that comes from other softwares than Archicad, so most of the times I have to select the zone´s manual construction methods, and after that I substract what need to be out of the measuring (void, columns, etc) In some specific plans I can make all the lines to be "zone boundary" and then use the automatic method of construction. It would be great if there is a way of selecting closed polylines inside a zone and substract those, so if the zone have a hatch this won't appear in the substracted areas, but it doesn't seems to be possible.

Solution

If you are drawing zones with the manual construction method, then you will have to add/subtract areas with the pet palette options just like you would for any other polygon.

Manually drawn zones can not update automatically using zone boundaries.

You can use the magic wand to subtract areas.

In your example above though, you would have to draw the ellipse that you want to subtract.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Setup info provided by author