Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Switch to turn off SEO?

Robert Nichols
Advocate
I've developed a GDL part that creates an 2-way array of thin volumes, as wide as my building, with spacing such that they represent the joints on a panelized exterior building skin. Using SEO, I subtract the GLD object from the exterior walls and I get good joints that I can control somewhat globally.

But I just discovered that the SEO subtraction also affects doors and windows within the exterior wall. The doors and windows are custom objects. Is there a way to exclude my doors from SEO operations acting on their containing wall using GDL or any other means?
Mac Studio, 32gb ram, ArchiCAD v26 (Apple Silicon) MacOS 13
4 REPLIES 4
DGSketcher
Legend
Have you considered applying the GDL object in smaller panels avoiding the openings with an offset if appropriate to align the joints?

Rather than program the GDL I might have been considering using the Profile Manager to draw the joints. The Profile tool isn't limited to sections, it can be applied to elevations as well.

Or at the most basic level just use columns and beams for the joints.

Obviously the latter two may not be appropriate if you have a lot of repetitive work with preset grids...
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Anonymous
Not applicable
You may find this object from James Murray useful as it shows a simple way of adding multiple 'holes' to an object to place around openings. You may be able to adapt it or use a similar technique in your own object.

http://www.onland.info/archives/2008/05/battens_jm11.php
Erika Epstein
Booster
Another non-gdl solution but easily editable to exclude doors and windows is to use the curtain wall tool to create the reveals.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Robert Nichols
Advocate
Curtain wall tool - interesting. I have not yet touched that tool! (I've been an ArchiCAD user since v. 5).

It can create negative spaces on an existing panel? I'll have to rev it up and play around a bit.

Thanks.
Mac Studio, 32gb ram, ArchiCAD v26 (Apple Silicon) MacOS 13