Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Telecommuting for Architects and BIM designers

rob2218
Enthusiast
I wanted to start this post because I've often considered going back to school, getting my PHD in Architecture on this very same subject matter........."How can Architects Break the Telecommuting Barrier?"

It appears that no matter how easy (or not) we make our design software, BIM server, VPN, etc.. telecommuting seems elusive for the present day designer and/or architect.

I know it has to do a lot with the firm you are engaged with, your very own attitude about work, your scheduling, project deadlines....and on and on...but....it doesn't seem to be "catching on" quickly enough.

You would think that during these VERY hard economic times, design firms would welcome the opportunity to have a labor pool (no offense but I don't mean India or overseas I mean U.S.A. citizens) at their disposal on the ready to do work as projects get planned for.

Yes, I know...simply finding the work is a task all by itself but once the work "IS" in the office, no I don't mean speculative work, I mean actual signed contract work, is in the office.....it seems that the telecommuting option is never really explored.

I'd like your thoughts on what you think could make Design Telecommuting work for our industry.
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Richard wrote:
From my own point of view (and residential practice type), while I can see a large benefit to consultants like structural or mechanical engineers having access to the model, the concept of "farming out" architectural drafting is something that I haven't quite figured out.
On smaller projects there isn't much advantage and it's probably more trouble than it's worth. Perhaps this will change as the tools and methods improve but for now it's mostly about projects where there is a budget for airfares and hotel rooms to get people together. It's the same as with construction coordination. There's generally no need to use NavisWorks on a single residence.
rob2218
Enthusiast
....I find that by the time you electronically tell someone what to do, it's usually almost as easy just to do it yourself....

And here in lies part of the problem as well.

Sometimes, we need to separate ourselves from "the person who redlines and gives it to a junior draftsman (electronic or not)" and sometimes, yes, it's much easier to simply just "DO" the work yourself, but then again, you aren't preparing yourself for the next batch of projects you could be going after if you are sitting in an office "doing the work yourself".....

It's a tough call at times.
Either you sit in an office, do the work yourself and don't redline ,though I find myself sometimes redlining for myself...just so that my hand/brain relationship can work faster and more efficient than trying to do the work directly on the PC.

That's a debate for another topic.
Engineers DON'T do any drafting. they only redline, then give those very precise redlines to someone who WONT think and will only COPY (exactly at times) what the engineer wrote.

Architects, I find, like to do some of their own actual production work. I suppose the higher up you get in an office working on larger jobs...the 'more' red lining you'll do and the more admin/management work you'll do as well....rather than actual 'production' work.

I know I'm mixing topics here and the 'telecommuting' topic is really what we should be discussing and how to improve on it.
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS