Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Text Arrow Tool

Anonymous
Not applicable
Please Look:
34 REPLIES 34
__archiben
Booster
Link wrote:
Ben wrote:
select leader line > Edit > Adjust > click line/edge you want it to adjust to. (try doing it with more than one leader line) . . . doesn't work with labels
I must be working miracles in this hotel room, because all my labels are adjusting just fine.
with the arrow end?
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
TomWaltz
Participant
Link wrote:
2) Weird bug where the text and arrow move apart from each other. The arrow moves further upward, and looks like it is pointing to another note.
never seen that one myself - is it a 9 bug? A simple stretch should reposition it in a jiffy!
Nice idea, except the Label and Arrow are connected. No stretching separates them.... only the internal bug (AC9, 2045)
4) It's SO cumbersome to change just a couple words in each of a dozen Labels compared to the Text Tool.
That's what favorites are for. Select the label in you want to change and double click your favorite. (Just like you do with all your favoriites right? )
Yeah, sure, we'll just change 25 favorites then hunt them down for the next detail and the next detail and the next details.... it sounds like it would work if you picked a set of notes and never deviated from them. That's just not realistic for us.
Very carefully mate! Or just make favorites of the ones you use the most.

So which is it? Are they all favorites, and saving time? Or all individually types, and taking longer?
Anyway I am out of desire on this one, (and out of bait!) You guys go use your lines and your text and knock yourselves out! .
Hey, it's fun to have an argument on actual usage. All we need now is to get Karl and Matthew to write us novels on the subject and Dwight to make a joke about it 😉
Tom Waltz
__archiben
Booster
in the interests of giving link a fair go i've done a little experimentation . . . but i'm still sticking to my guns.

typically i find that once placed and aligned the text anchors all stay in one place - but there is extensive editing with the size/shape of the text box and positioning of the leader lines.

so with the label tool, how do i change this... -->

... to this... -->

... easily, efficiently and ensuring that the leader lines remain perfectly perpendicular to each other and the text stays the same distance away from the building aligned with other (imaginary in this case) text blocks . . ? three clicks is the cheapest way i could find - the marquee tool didn't even stretch the leaders independently to the text! what kind of tools is that???!!!

with a couple of lines and a text block it's simple. just use the polygonal editing tools to adjust the leaders. one move. two if you need to adjust the length of a line afterwards (depending on the relative lengths of two lines) -->

thoughts -->
plus points of the label tool: you can 'Adjust' the label's text to an alignment easily . . . this could be achieved by building that functionality into a generic text block's anchor point. (CADImage have this functionality built into many of their objects!).

conversely: why not build polygonal editing capabilities into the label tool's leader lines as well?

each to their own i guess . . . but i hereby declare that i will use the label tool for the rest of the afternoon even if it's only purpose is to piss off my co-workers

cheers
~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
__archiben
Booster
and what about double-headed leader lines? how do you handle those?

~/archiben
doubleLeaders.jpg
b e n f r o s t
Bruce
Expert
I use the label tool for text all the time and have no trouble with it at all. No separating arrows, no funny angles, all aligned, text on both the left and right sides - any variation you can think of (well, that I can think of anyway).

To get the text coming off a particular side you need to put two segments in the leader line.

To adjust the arrow on your "Man on balcony" example Ben you just move the whole block over, then stretch the text itself back - all using the pet palette clicking on the appropriate node (much like the Details marker stretch )

To do double arrows you draw in your leader with text, then add a polyline with arrow head at the junction and group them.

Simple.

As far as having a central database of notes, check out Cadimage's Key Notes tool. http://www.cadimagetools.com/home.php?page=products&productID=173
Bruce Walker
www.brucepwalker.com
Barking Dog BIM YouTube
Mindmeister Mindmap
-- since v8.1 --
AC27 5003 INT Full | Windows 11 64 Pro | 12th Gen Intel i7-12700H 2.30 GHz | 64 Gb RAM | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 32 Gb
TomWaltz
Participant
Bruce wrote:
To adjust the arrow on your "Man on balcony" example Ben you just move the whole block over, then stretch the text itself back - all using the pet palette clicking on the appropriate node (much like the Details marker stretch )
What happens when you have 15 of them? Drag them all over then Pet Palette each one?
Tom Waltz
Bruce
Expert
Works for me. Of course, if there were 16 instances, then I'd have to rethink my methods.

Anyway:
Link wrote:
You guys go use your lines and your text and knock yourselves out!
Cheers.
Bruce Walker
www.brucepwalker.com
Barking Dog BIM YouTube
Mindmeister Mindmap
-- since v8.1 --
AC27 5003 INT Full | Windows 11 64 Pro | 12th Gen Intel i7-12700H 2.30 GHz | 64 Gb RAM | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 32 Gb
Anonymous
Not applicable
Why is that I do not have a polygonal editing tool ?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Sorry that was not the label tool.

The polygonal increases both sections when dragged.

I have an other proposal why is there not a second tex and arrow that will be attached to a layer combination so when one changeds the combination is ready to annotate.
__archiben
Booster
TomWaltz wrote:
Bruce wrote:
What happens when you have 15 of them? Drag them all over then Pet Palette each one?
actually he has a point - you do drag them all over, but then just use the 'adjust' command to snap all of the text blocks back onto one line . . .

i guess it all comes down to the kind of editing that you are typically carrying out with your annotation.

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t