cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Starting August 6, 2024, TLS 1.2 will be the minimum required protocol version for Graphisoft products and services that require an online connection. Learn more…
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Text tool closes when I hit enter key

Jefferson
Participant
This happens on occasion, cured by a restart in the past and hopefully as I am writting this. Basically; select a string of text with tool selected, as soon as I hit the enter key it goes back to selected mode. This if you actually tried to work with it would mean separate strings of text for every phrase/sentence. It was the norm with the 2256 rebuild and the biggest reason I trashed it. You have time for that? I don't!

Does anyone else experience this and or have a convenient work around? I would certianly appreciate a cure.
jeff white
w3d design

AC 23 Solo US / current build & library
Windoze 10 Pro 64
HP ZBook 17 G4
Intel Zeon 3.0
Twin 2GB SSD
32 GB memory

http://w3d-design.com
26 REPLIES 26
Anonymous
Not applicable
SteveC0013 wrote:
Label tool Enter/Return changed in AC14...

I'm using a MAC so Alpha is Return and Numeric is Enter. In 13 and previous versions (I think) Return was carriage return and Enter entered the command or closed the window.... Now in AC14 they both are carriage return.... Very annoying.

Is there a way to fix this?
This changed a while ago. Perhaps around 9 or 10. As I recall it was to maintain consistency on both Mac and Windows since Windows does not typically distinguish between return and enter. It is a pain though. I miss the functionality.
vistasp
Advisor
Matthew wrote:
This changed a while ago. Perhaps around 9 or 10. As I recall it was to maintain consistency on both Mac and Windows since Windows does not typically distinguish between return and enter. It is a pain though. I miss the functionality.
Having been a DOS/Windows user from the start, I never even thought to distinguish between the two!

Another driver for changing AC's behaviour may have been the rising popularity of laptops which usually have only one such key anyway.
= v i s t a s p =
bT Square Peg
https://archicadstuff.blogspot.com
https://www.btsquarepeg.com
| AC 9-27 INT | Win11 | Ryzen 5700 | 32 GB | RTX 3050 |
David Maudlin
Rockstar
SteveC0013 wrote:
In 13 and previous versions (I think) Return was carriage return and Enter entered the command or closed the window.... Now in AC14 they both are carriage return.... Very annoying.

Steve:

Hold down the Command key when hitting Return or Enter to exit editing mode from the Label or Text tools.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
Matthew wrote:

I have 13 and 14 open now. The Enter key works as I expect it to in 13 but not in 14. I haven't checked earlier version but I may later because I'm curious...

I did figure out that in 14 Enter does work as I expect it to unless the curser is in the text window. If the text window is not active the the Enter key works as the command enter closing the window....
Anonymous
Not applicable
David wrote:
SteveC0013 wrote:
In 13 and previous versions (I think) Return was carriage return and Enter entered the command or closed the window.... Now in AC14 they both are carriage return.... Very annoying.

Steve:

Hold down the Command key when hitting Return or Enter to exit editing mode from the Label or Text tools.

David
Thanks for this.... I'm annoyed that I have to add a key but at least I don't have to use the mouse...
Anonymous
Not applicable
SteveC0013 wrote:
Matthew wrote:

I have 13 and 14 open now. The Enter key works as I expect it to in 13 but not in 14. I haven't checked earlier version but I may later because I'm curious...
Strange. Perhaps it changed back and I hadn't noticed. I'll have to check.
I did figure out that in 14 Enter does work as I expect it to unless the curser is in the text window. If the text window is not active the the Enter key works as the command enter closing the window....
When the cursor is not in the text field both return and enter operate as the default OK to close the dialog. It is only during actual text editing (where you may want a linefeed/carriage return) that the distinction exists.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks to this thread, I finally figured out what was causing my AC13 to open while using AC14.... the Command/Enter key combination! I opened a new project and just pushed command/Enter and AC pops open...

Okay, I take it back... it's not consistent.