Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Timber Frame Shop Drawings

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am working on a timber frame in AC9 and am having some trouble with generating shop drawings/cut sheets, for the valleys and jacks, for my shop to cut the frame. Modelling the frame is not the problem it is taking the model and using that information into cut sheets. I do have trouble with editing the valleys. I do not see a way to stretch the downhill end of the valley and then make the shape I want.

I am fully aware of FrameWright and have toyed with it. It seems to be a great Add-on, just not something I want/can tackle right now. I would like to be able to do what I am looking to do in AC9, alone.

I am looking for someone with some ideas or experience with this. This would include possibly hiring someone to help me, whether with drawings or consultation.
20 REPLIES 20
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have the full demo and have had many emails back and forth with both Ralph and an associate of his, Tim.
I don't think FrameWorks is the answer. From what I could tell by reading their website, there is only one thing it can do that you can't already do with ArchiCAD. That is to lay out all of the parts flat. It also has a few library parts you don't get whith ArchiCAD.

Special training is also not what is required. Baukunst just has a few simple problems that are keeping him from taking full advantage of the ArhciCAD features he needs.

This forum is the perfect place for that. All he help you will ever need it right here, and its free!

If you do a little searching you can find a post about almost anything. As an example, in the last week or so Laszlo took the time to spoon fed me EVERYTHNG I needed to know about how to edit the GDL script of the RoofMaker library parts to show the actual lenght on the slope! Now thousands of users can see how to do it too.

The most valuable way to help Baukunst is to let hIm know about how to use this forum effectivly and to his advantage.

ASK A CLEAR AND SPECIFIC QUESTION AND YOU WILL GET A CLEAR AND SPECIFIC ANSWER.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Rakela wrote:
http://www.mii.com/canada/
Those are all add-ons (so to speak) for MiTek 20/20 arnt they? You can't buy MiTek sofware unless you are a truss manufacture. I wish I was.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you Steve.

Any time you have available I would love to talk to you. I would love to send you the model if you were at all interested. My crew and I have actually figured out, by mocking up with actual timbers, the end cut of the jack rafters and the associated housings.

It is very difficult for me to take direction/learn on a web forum. I need to talk in person. Spoon-fed, as you say.

I have done several simple searches for this subject in this forum over the past year and I, personally, found only one. And all it said was... Framewright. I am not good at these sites and did not find anything, hence my original post a month ago.
A month ago! Thats no good.

I would love to try to help you out with this. You can help me out whith some stuff I want to know sometime. If I can't help you out, I bet I can steer you in the right direction. Lets get started man! It will be fun.

jepsondesign@comcast.net

Rakela Raul
Participant
for MiTek 20/20 arnt they? You can't buy MiTek sofware unless you are a truss manufacture
as i understand, they are some anybody can buy, but the one i want..i cannot...need to be a truss manufacturer!!! the trusses one of course!!
MACBKPro /32GiG / 240SSD
AC V6 to V18 - RVT V11 to V16
Anonymous
Not applicable
Here is a picture of our mock-up. The valley is alot taller than what it is here in the photo. The tops will all be at the same height.
IMGP1697.jpg
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
Steve wrote:
I don't think FrameWorks is the answer. From what I could tell by reading their website, there is only one thing it can do that you can't already do with ArchiCAD.
Steve,

Please refer to my other post regarding many unique features provided by FrameWright http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=33733&highlight=#33733

There are businesses out there who would not be using ArchiCAD if it wasn't for the additional features in FrameWright. Some had made an effort to make ArchiCAD alone work by tweaking existing objects and spending countless hours with scheduling, but couldn't come up with a process that made real gains for their business. FrameWright is making a big difference in their productivity.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Software Engineer Speckle Systems
I think it's great that there is a add-on available specifically made for timber framing. I wish I could afford it. I have no doubt that is works better and faster than ArchiCAD alone. Is it worth $3,000.00 to me? Probably not.

The pictures you posted do not show me anything I can not already do with ArchiCAD. SOE and a few tweaks to some exitsing library parts and you can make anything you need to make a great set of working drawings and materials list for a timber frame project, or any other framing project for that matter. Making ArchiCAD drawings and list for Timber Frame projects is no more difficult than for conventional stick framing. If anything, it is easier. It has so few parts.

Karl Ottenstein
Steve wrote:
I think it's great that there is a add-on available specifically made for timber framing. I wish I could afford it. I have no doubt that is works better and faster than ArchiCAD alone. Is it worth $3,000.00 to me? Probably not.
Maybe Ralph could clarify here the difference between the economical $300 FrameWright and the $3,000 FrameWright Pro. I haven't seen/tried either, but his web site seems to suggest that the $300 version is all that you guys need?

Thanks,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.7, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB