cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Undocumented (under-advertised) Improvements in ArchiCAD 17

JaredBanks
Mentor
I'm continuing a tradition that Link started back in 2011. Maybe someone did this for earlier versions, and I apologize if someone already started this for 17…

2011: Link started a thread highlighting all the undocumented (or under-documented) changes to the then latest version of ArchiCAD (which was 15). Here's that thread:
http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=36880

2012:
I wrote a blog post about the undocumented changes to ArchiCAD 16 over on my blog. Here's that post:
http://www.shoegnome.com/2012/07/30/all-the-changes-in-archicad-16-that-we-love-but-wont-be-advertis...

2013:
We now have ArchiCAD 17. I've written a post for GSNA's blog about the unadvertised changes and wanted to link it to the forum. Here's that post (with two other under-advertised changes):
http://blog.graphisoftus.com/archicad-education/tips-and-tricks/all-the-changes-in-archicad-17-that-...

And here are some of the little changes that one of the developers sent me… enjoy!

* Log Wall now has a checkbox to turn on/off
* Profiles, now need to name Profile when creating
* New Project Picture UI
* Project Info, clicking on headings will cycle through 3 sorting methods of group – also the comma has been removed when using complete address auto text
* Zone name no longer limited to 31 characters
* Section cuts now have the same options as 3DD
* Replace Attribute command (hidden from interface) - for advanced users
* Energy Evaluation, will now indicate the Profile Name but still requires overriding (new dialogue to choose Bmat or Composite)
* Project Location, now has a popup to choose Time Zone (no longer a text field)
* IFC Import Conversion Table – updated UI, edit in the list now (no longer separate Edit dialogue) and correct column sorting
* Energy Evaluation Report, can now customise appearance like colours, font etc. also can add an image as a header
* Composites support all line types – even Symbol Line Type
* Layer popup in Infobox now uses a smaller font to fit more characters in
* UI update to Layer Settings in GDL 2D Symbol

Now what else? What other little tweaks are flying under the radar? Or what big changes are you very excited to have. Reading through this list I think Symbol Line Types is going to be amazing. I'll do some thinking and record some videos. Get ready for some awesomeness.
Jared Banks, AIA
Shoegnome Architects

Archicad Blog: www.shoegnome.com
Archicad Template: www.shoegnome.com/template/
Archicad Work Environment: www.shoegnome.com/work-environment/
Archicad Tutorial Videos: www.youtube.com/shoegnome
31 REPLIES 31
JaredBanks
Mentor
Barry Kelly
Not sure if this is undocumented or not - can't find it in the Help Cetre - that is hopeless trying to use that!

There is now another way to "Merge" your published documents without having to tick the "Merge" box in the publisher sets.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Barry Kelly
Seems this "create single file" is undocumented.
This is what is in the 17 reference PDF.
I'm still having no luck with the Help Centre.
Searching for anything there just doesn't work.
Well it does - it just takes a VERY long time.
That shows the same as the reference PDF (i.e. how it was in 16).
Barry.
create_single file-2.jpg
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Not sure if a new undocumented features list has been created for ArchiCAD 17, but I noticed that the Library Manager gives direct access to the ArchiCAD 17 Library (and recently used objects by the look of it). Subtle but a nice touch!

Cheers,
Link.
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Anyone else found new undocumented features in ArchiCAD 17?

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Has it listed somewhere yet???

The option to change color of cut surfaces moved from 3D Cutting Planes (Ctr+Shift+Y) to Filter & Cut Element in 3D (Ctrl+Alt+A), which more make sence to me.
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Yes that is a welcome change that's been a long time coming. Great to see this dialog finally updated. Although I thought Graphisoft may have made 'Use Element Attributes' the default to show off the power of automatic junctions.

Nevertheless these 3D Cutaways are so user friendly now, I am thinking of activating them by default in my template!

Cheers,
Link.
David Maudlin
Rockstar
Link wrote:
Anyone else found new undocumented features in ArchiCAD 17?
[Moderator edit: was a link to this thread... merged new topic with this topic. Thanks David!]

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Thanks for that David. Not sure how I missed the original topic.

Reading through it, I noticed that the Project Info mentioned that is available in the Mac OS Info dialog and the Windows Properties dialog also appears when you create a BIMx Docs file.

Nice to see this info in more places where it's needed.

Cheers,
Link.
Scott Bulmer
Booster
Offset Edge - Fixed Area (fills only)

Is very useful when planning buildings that have to retain a fixed area but may take multiple shapes. I used this new feature while site planning a recent project. See attached screenshot.
AC27 v. 4060 w/ MEP, Cadimage, Twinmotion 2023.2.2 using AC from AC6.0, 2021 MacPro M1 chip, Adobe CC. Used AC on both platforms.