BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

V11, Vista, and migration problem

Tom Krowka
Booster
Am using V11 with Windows Vista on a brand new laptop. When using a pure V11 pln no problem. Hwever, when using a migrated project....we have some that were started on V8.......AC11 hangs up.
Can open the project, walk away from it, in two minutes the hourlglass thingy starts going indicating the computer is working......then mouse click causes the computer to freeze up by creating multiple copies of the active screen.
I can work on it for those first two minutes....but then crash time. Very frustrating. Nobody seems to know what to do....other than GS will look into it after their vacation. Have a Nvidia graphics card that is not listed on the database.
Any thoughts on this?
Tom Krowka Architect
Windows 11, AC Version 26
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
7 REPLIES 7
vfrontiers
Enthusiast
Just sent a VISTA ULTIMATE machine back to Office Depot (nice quad 2.4 too!)... Vista just could not handle projects started in 10... Didn't really test it with pure 11 files.

If you get the chance, you can always try and opening a blank 11 file (pure) and copy and pasting all the elements from the "bad" file into the new one. If you are far along on the process, will be painful (no views, redo sections, elevations, etc.)
Duane

Visual Frontiers

AC25 :|: AC26 :|: AC27
:|: Enscape3.4:|:TwinMotion

DellXPS 4.7ghz i7:|: 8gb GPU 1070ti / Alienware M18 Laptop
Tom Krowka
Booster
Not practical to do with all my projects that I had planned to migrate to this machine. Plus its too late to send mine back.
GS.....how about stepping up here and fixing this problem. You guys must be back from vacation by now....right?
Tom Krowka Architect
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
Pete
Newcomer
Tom,
You and I seem to struggle with similar issues. My Vista machine is much more stable with projects from 10 since I took these steps:
1) AC 11 updated to 1040 and libraries updated.
2) Latest driver for nVidia card.
3) Upgrade to latest DirectX driver from Microsoft (9c).
4) When opening 10 project, load only AC Subset Library 10. Do not load libraries from 10 or earlier.
Hope that helps,
Pete Read
ArchiCAD 12; Artlantis Studio 2
MacBook Pro 2.4 Core2Duo, 2GB, OSX(10.5) and XPpro(SP3)
Tom Krowka
Booster
Pete:

Thanks for the ol' college try. Verified all the steps on your previous post.....still get the same problem.
I saw your post on one of the other V11 issues. I have a couple more myself......no text on .pdfs from migrating layouts....for example. I think V11 was not finished up before they sent it out....too bad.
Tom Krowka Architect
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
Pete
Newcomer
Yeah, we're not too happy.

Hey Duane, so you are using 11 on XP? or, did you go back to 10??

We thought about dual booting XP onto our Vista machine but it's money and time, etc.. and we still have glitches with 11 running on XP.
Pete Read
ArchiCAD 12; Artlantis Studio 2
MacBook Pro 2.4 Core2Duo, 2GB, OSX(10.5) and XPpro(SP3)
Tom Krowka
Booster
Was experimenting with everything on the Vista laptop and V11 because of freezing up problem.....discovered that if one right clicks on the desktop, then properties, then changed color qualities to 16 bit, it seems to fix the problem.
Seems to run fine, right now anyway. Don't know if this is a symptom of a graphics card problem or what, the card on the laptop is not listed in the compatability chart. No downloadable test for V11, so can't test the card.
Hope this will help.
Tom Krowka Architect
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
Paul King
Advisor
That suggests to me you may have insufficient RAM on laptop or graphics card, or even worse, a motherboard integrated graphics card using system RAM (screeches in horror!)
PAUL KING | https://www.prime.net.nz
ArchiCAD 8-27 | Twinmotion 2023
Windoze 11 PC | Intel Core i9 10900K | Nvidia Gforce RTX 3080 | 32 Gb DDR3 | 2x4K monitor extended desktop
Learn and get certified!