BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Velodrome

Anonymous
Not applicable
Help! I am in the process of modeling a velodrome. Some description: The track is about 250 meters around=straight and curve. The track is 12° on the straights and increases in incline to 40° at the end of the curve--the incline only occurs at the outer edge. The incline starts at the beginning of the curve. Obviously I am not giving you all of the details but enough to understand the question: I can model the track with a spiral--I have done this with ArchiForma--but I haven't figured out how to make the outer edge of the spiral rotate at a different degree than the inner portion of the spiral? The inner edge does not elevate at all. Any ideas would be appreciated--thanks in advance!
11 REPLIES 11
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
dabarch wrote:
Help! I am in the process of modeling a velodrome. Some description: The track is about 250 meters around=straight and curve. The track is 12° on the straights and increases in incline to 40° at the end of the curve--the incline only occurs at the outer edge. The incline starts at the beginning of the curve. Obviously I am not giving you all of the details but enough to understand the question: I can model the track with a spiral--I have done this with ArchiForma--but I haven't figured out how to make the outer edge of the spiral rotate at a different degree than the inner portion of the spiral? The inner edge does not elevate at all. Any ideas would be appreciated--thanks in advance!
I think you should be able to model this with Objective. You can make custom profiles that can be twisted through a specified angle as it bends around a curve. If you fix the profile anchor to the bottom edge, it will remain level (and the other edge rises/falls). I've attached a quick example modelled with Objective, although I suspect the actual solution is more complex than what I've modelled.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Anonymous
Not applicable
Please see the link to the youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSDKbtInXd8 The BVV is open and running in Erie, Colorado: http://www.bouldervalleyvelodrome.com/
Learn and get certified!

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!