cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Wall Cleanup

Anonymous
Not applicable
I know this must have been covered before but I don't know how to search the archives. How do I get walls of different thicknesses to clean up automatically? Or what is the best way to do it manually? See picture:
37 REPLIES 37
Dwight
Newcomer
RIGHT. GREY PAPER ON THE SIDES, CHALK IN THE MIDDLE.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Braza,
This has always been a problem in AC.
Sometimes it can be fixed by doing an "Adjust" of the
intersecting walls with the continuous wall and sometimes
you can use the "Modify Wall" add-on to change the reference
line to the opposite side for one or the other or both intersecting walls.
Sometimes nothing works and you have to make a mask to cover the joint.
Peter Devlin
Stress Co_
Advisor
~/archiben wrote:
for a while now i've tended to model structural/core only walls first and then clad them with an accessory or additional element that does the cladding job.
Are you using WallBuilder?
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.5 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
__archiben
Booster
Stress wrote:
Are you using WallBuilder?
depends what the occasion calls for . . . sometimes it's simply another plain wall. sometimes wall-builder, sometimes complex profile or library part elements.

wall builder is great at the initial stage for 'cladding' a wall with various different types of products, but like most all-in-one systems it falls down when atypical details are required. but by that stage the model is developing into a more complex beast, the cladding type is fixed and the elements used can start to be higher-maintenance one-offs . . .

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Stress Co_
Advisor
~/archiben wrote:
wall builder is great at the initial stage for 'cladding' a wall with various different types of products, but like most all-in-one systems it falls down when atypical details are required. but by that stage the model is developing into a more complex beast, the cladding type is fixed and the elements used can start to be higher-maintenance one-offs . .
As I am finding. It solves one problem... and creates another.
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.5 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
__archiben
Booster
Stress wrote:
As I am finding. It solves one problem... and creates another.
i don't think there is anything out there yet that allows us to produce truly intelligent building systems (assemblies). i think what cadimage have done within the boundaries of - and compared to - GS's own accessories API is the best out there.

sure, it creates its own set of problems when complex or atypical building systems are employed, but it allows you to work at a conceptual level within the virtual building concept. the 'accessory' element feels BIM. complex profiles were a dead tech before they even began.

just my opinion, but GS jumped left when they should've jumped right and developed the 'accessories' concept into something akin to complex assemblies. i'm not talking about giving us tools that can replicate every building system and it's particulars, but giving us a framework from which we can create our own sets of building systems simply and efficiently . . . this was the promise of GDL redsquare 5 or so years ago. i think it just got too difficult . . .

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Anonymous
Not applicable
So... It is a bug!

Does GS knows about it? and what are the chances to solve this issue in the next AC version?
jean-luc wrote:
...but may I ask you why it's disturbing you to see this line in 3D view?
you meet with some others issues then ?
Its just because they are not supposed to be there!... and these lines in a section or front view may create, in some cases, some misunderstood by the contractors. So, the main reason is that I want an accurate model in order to create accurate drawings. If I don't have it, the rest of the design chain is compromised.
Potato Farmer
Mentor
~/archiben wrote:
for a while now i've tended to model structural/core only walls first and then clad them with an accessory or additional element that does the cladding job.
I do tis a lot with slabs, and would do it more with walls except for the pain of managing windows and doors.

While we await more capable structural assemblies one interim thing that would help is the ability to extend a door or window's wall hole beyond the face of one wall such that it can cut adjacent walls.
Regards,
Geoff Briggs
I & I Design, Seattle, USA
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x