Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Working with different story levels in linked-in modules

Anonymous
Not applicable
I had modelled two houses next to each other in the one file.
Problem is, the houses are on a hill, so the relative heights of the stories in each building are very different - one sits well below the other.

Now I'm trying to split them off into separate files and place one into the other using a linked module.

I've separated out the lower house2 into its own file. It had been modeled using the storey levels of house1, despite them being "incorrect" for house2 (i.e. they started half way up the wall!), and now I want to re-adjust it's storey levels, now that it's independent from house1.

I have a few problems or questions:

1) How to adjust a storey level of house2 - so it starts on the floorslab's elevation - without all the elements in that storey moving their elevation aswell. (Like what you can do in the "Edit Storey Levels" mode, but BEFORE you click [OK].)

2) After that, when I link it in, can I place a module and offset its elevation from the host model? Say, specify that the first floor of house2 (the mod) is 1500mm lower than the first floor of house1 (the host).

3) Say I can do (2) above. When I view both models, side-by-side in plan, e.g. the "First floor" (let's call it F1) , and assuming all elements were set to "Show on home storey only", will it show me:
i) F1 of house1 and F1 of house2 ...or...
ii) F1 of house1 and F2 of house2 - because it's on the same elevation of F1 of house1 ...?

4) If (3i) above...then if the Cut Plane was, say, 1000mm above F1 of house1, does it:
i) adjust for the different level and cut 1000mm above F1 of house2 ...or...
ii) keep a global cut plane elevation, and be 2500mm above F1 of house2 ...?

If not (4i), then any suggestions how to manage all this, so I can see floor plans of both and have different cutting planes for each? I don't mind seeing, say, F2 of house2 and F1 of house1 at the same time - because they are on a similiar elevation - but I do need to adjust the cutting planes for each independently. (As an example of why... if the Cut Plane is global, I won't be able to see any doors on one house as the cutting plane would be near the ceiling of the storey.)

Your advice is really appreciated!
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable
After a bit more seaching, I've found a very relevant 2007 discussion on a similar situation here: Editing Story Levels.

It seems to answer most of my questions, but has anything changed in AC since 2007 to address the issues of the Cut Plane in these situations?

e.g. "There is a wish (which GS is aware of) to be able to stagger the FPCP similar to the sections."