Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

World leader in Virtual Modeling -But Virtual Worlds ?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello All,

I apologise if this feels like a long winded email and considering this is a Creative and Professional environment maybe also slightly dreamy, but it is also a thought about a company ( or group of people) I admire .

A group of people that aims to invent the future- And therefore I ask myself why is one of the world leaders in Virtual Modeling not leading the Virtual Worlds ? ( There are now many but Second life is the most well known)

In a few hours I am going to teach my first class in ArchiCAD - To a group of young creative women who have never built a Virtual Model before. They are studying at a small, local college in Denmark- the next generation in a long line of creative professionals.

I am not teaching because I regard my self as an expert, merely someone with a passion and an idea of things to come..And because I believe there are signs that their ability to express complex ideas in a real time 3D environment will be what decides if they (and we) can develop and perhaps even just pay the rent.

During the last few months I have been a privileged participant in a series different Seminars (a typical post New Year rush). Chatting and listening to people from the likes of NASA and young Virtual Artists their Virtual Curators. I have listened to some of the brightest minds on the planet meeting in Universities in Stanford and Austin and Amsterdam and from companies like SUN Microsystems - via streamed video in a Virtual World.

Despite earlier false starts Virtual Modeling and Worlds still seem to be the next and most obvious development for 3D crossing over everything from brain surgery to YOU TUBE.

Without the people and visions that created companies like Graphisoft-
we would not have got this far.

It occurs to me that surely it should be a company with Graphisoft's knowledge and vision that invents /shapes the future in the Virtual World rather than perhaps it's more opportunistic than visionary competition.

I have recently experienced the high value of the skills of both the Artist and Architect in a Virtual World and observed how Virtual Worlds use Architecture (admittedly as yet rather mundanely) to create places where people, light and space meet.

The growing creation of Virtual Space is a global opportunity to communicate and exchange such worldly values such as mutual status, emotion and not least knowledge, but also a place where gravity and dimensions are negotiable.

I know these are surely busy times for Graphisoft ,with version 12 soon to be released and much refining and development of ArchiCAD but I would like to think Graphisoft was also still busy inventing the far future !

I hope for the best !-)

With regards

Craig Bevan maa

--
Temporary Web Page- http://aRaymaker.com

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable
As a teacher at an architecture school, this virtual worlds/virtual building connection also interests me.

We have been doing some research work at the university on a Second Life environment, that I find very promising.

It allows for collaborative design, and, as an immersible interface, it is much more powerful than the archicad 3d window.

My firm belief is that the interface is moving in this direction.

Some years ago I talked to Graphisoft about this (using caves, 3D wands, etc.) and their simple answer was "is there a market for this".

I have come to understand that there is not. Yet.

This, I believe, could be a great business opportunity.

Anyway, if you want to read a bit about my vision, please read this short story:
http://bimania.blogspot.com/2006/10/archicad-18.html

Best of luck
Anonymous
Not applicable
Sorry, had trouble uploading message...
Anonymous
Not applicable
Sorry again