Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Swtiching from PC to Mac versions...

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hopefully this isn't a commonly asked question that has eluded me by looking through 3 of 4 pages of topics...but:

I am starting a new job in a firm that's using AC11 MAC. Now, I have used a PC for all my drafting and I've used AC from 8.1 until present. I've gone through many of the graphisoft tutorials and experience kits on the PC and I wonder if the interface and file management going to be drastically different from the PC. The interfaces seem pretty similar content-wise since the tutorials are shown with the Mac version. So will it be a pretty easy conversion? Anything I need to look out for?

I really appreciate any help or tips provided.
5 REPLIES 5
Eduardo Rolon
The control key on windows = the command key on Mac, that's the biggie since Macs also have a control key which is not equivalent. Make sure you have a mouse with a scroll wheel and right button, if not control+click = right click.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Karl Ottenstein
Also, for your Work Environment, palettes and windows don't dock as nicely as on Windows - but you have Expose on Mac which saves more time than you waste messing with palette positions. 😉

Some of the function F-keys are assigned to Mac OS functions such as Expose by default. If you've been using the f-keys for archi-stuff on Windows, this may take a few minutes to get used to.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.9, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl wrote:
Some of the function F-keys are assigned to Mac OS functions such as Expose by default. If you've been using the f-keys for archi-stuff on Windows, this may take a few minutes to get used to.
Or just change the defaults.

Another nice thing is more modifier keys. Command (apple) take the place of Windows' ctrl key, but there is still a ctrl key on the Mac to use for more stuff, and the option (alt) key doesn't suspend all activity if pressed by mistake.

Oh, and no landmines like the start and menu keys (which were also mercifully absent from my old ThinkPad keyboards).
Anonymous
Not applicable
ejrolon wrote:
Make sure you have a mouse with a scroll wheel and right button, if not control+click = right click.
I recommend the cordless Mighty Mouse. I love the scroll ball and the clean look. It is also by far the smoothest cordless I have ever used.
Main diffs with AC11 on Mac vs. PCs.

1) Command key on Mac = Control key on PC during hotkey actions
2) IMPORTANT--> Option key on Mac = Control key on PC during "copy" actions (system wide--not just AC).
3) Option key on Mac = Alt key on PC during hotkey actions
4) F4 and F4+modifers on Mac = F5, etc. on PC for accessing 3D window and options. (Maybe GS can explain why, 'cuz I dunno why it's diff'rent...)
5) Command-Tab on Mac = Alt-Tab on PC during App switching.
6) To Quit or "Exit" ArchiCAD, you MUST go under trhe File Menu to "Quit." There is no App Exit box on the upper right of the window as there is in Windows.

Those to me are the major ones.

AFAIK Apple doesn't even make single-button mice any more. If they do, someone should be fired.
Rex Maximilian, Honolulu, USA - www.rexmaximilian.com
ArchiCAD 27 (user since 3.4, 1991)
16" MacBook Pro; M1 Max (2021), 32GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, 32-Core GPU
Apple Vision Pro w/ BIMx
Creator of the Maximilian ArchiCAD Template System