Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

best way to save details

Anonymous
Not applicable
i'm trying to figure out the best way to create details that i will use in future projects like typ wall sections, etc. i've created them and they are all saved in one project as independent details. but if i want to use them in other projects i need to xref or merge them. i'll need to make adjustments to them to make them specific to each job. so what's the best way to save them? as separate solo projects or what?
thanks wb
16 REPLIES 16
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Richard wrote:
Publishing details as modules is simple, perhaps, but it seems to me that you have to take the project file and start creating numerous new detail views, figuring out what scale the view needs to be, titling it, merging a file, then placing it into layout. Why do all this when it's already been mostly done, except for dragging onto a layout sheet? What am I missing here?
Hi Richard

I'm not knocking your method, you've always been ahead of the curve on this topic, and I have no doubt your system works well for you. So you're probably not missing anything at all, but my scenario is a little different.

First of all I have to put a system in place that is consistent with other systems we have, so that multiple users in interstate offices understand and use it properly. That involves keeping linked files to an absolute minimum.

Secondly, we teamwork every project no matter what size or type it is. I wouldn't particularly want to share a project specific detail file. And if I link it to a solo project it means that anyone accessing the file remotely would not be able to edit it, without requiring VPN access to our non-BIM Servers.

That aside, looking through a PDF catalog of details and drag/dropping the corresponding module files is very quick (yet it requires a conscious decision), and does not create the overhead of yet another link (in addition to any hotlinked modules, externally linked DWG drawings, or even the rare XREF).

Our template has an adequate number of linked and independent details that are pre-placed as drawings on layouts. All we need to do is edit the name of the detail (marker) and everything else takes care of itself, right down to the name in the drawing title, and the back reference. We delete the excess details which takes no time at all, leaving us with just the details we need and BIM techs that are accountable.

It's a system that works for us and it's not necessarily better than anyone elses, but I think it's good to discuss it!

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Link wrote:
It's a system that works for us and it's not necessarily better than anyone elses, but I think it's good to discuss it!
Of course. The best system is the one that works best under the circumstances of those using it and this discussion should serve to help some folks sort it out. Thanks to everyone for the input.
In the spirit of discussing this further, I've just experimented with publishing MOD files, and found that it was far less onerous than I'd imagined. So I will retract MOST of my criticism of this. However, while the upside is that all of the details are internal to the project file and readily editable, which makes it very convenient, the downside is that it seems as if the main file grows rather quickly with everything in it. I understand that, for some firms, this advantage overshadows the file size, though.

One (I think) neglected option is the resurrected ability to create PMK files by publishing, similar to the MOD files. While these don't have the same ability to edit directly, they are TINY in size compared to a MOD file, and you CAN edit them by exploding them in a detail window, if necessary. However, you never have to worry about the correct libraries being loaded, since these PMKs are all converted to primitive elements. Yes, you do have a lot of individual files being linked, but they take virtually no time to regenerate. Just an additional option for discussion.
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
That's interesting - do you use any PDFs in your details?

We have hundreds of module detail files, and they average around 70kB.

Our project files hover around 50-500Mb in (database) size, so a few details is the least of our worries...

Cheers,
Link.
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
I have created a 'Standard Details in ArchiCAD' tutorial, in two parts, and thought there were worth mentioning here.

The first part illustrates our process of taking standard details and publishing them to module files and PDF catalogs. The second part shows how we can insert them into a real project and either link them to a detail bubble, or not.

Please bear in mind that our entire template is pre-linked this way, so this is just a continuation of our workflow. It may not work for everyone, but could provide some ideas on how to streamline this procedure.

Also, I am limited by the length of screencasts (5 mins) and the time I can spend on these tutorials (fortunately these go into our internal blog). So I do apologise for the speed and amateur production, but I certainly hope they provide more answers than present questions, and I do hope they help someone.

Part 1: http://www.screenr.com/z1y
Part 2: http://www.screenr.com/91y

Cheers,
Link.
Arcadia
Booster
What I consider is the simplest method for my purposes is to have a number of details in my template file with each detail sheet containing a large number of std details laid out in a grid for a certain class of details or construction type. When I start a new project I immediately delete the details that do not apply to the construction type I am working with to reduce file size/complexity. Then I just resize my drawings on my layout a few times to show the correct parts of the grid for the details I need. I find working with references to external files cumbersome and prefer to have the details included in the file so that I can change them on the fly if needed. As I create new details in jobs I paste them into my template file so my detail library keeps growing and being updated.
V12-V27, PC: Ryzen 9 3950X, 64g RAM, RTX5000, Win 11
Rick Thompson
Expert
I keep all details parked in one pln. I combine laying and stories to generate multiple details without changing most of the components of the details. I currently have about 40 stories. I'll attach a screen shot. It allows me to quickly generate, and maintain (ie code changes) by changing one note for all variations (say of a roof detail and all pitch configurations. I keep many details on my template file, but new ones are easy to drop onto the layout via. organized as the pln is auto linked when opening any pln I have.

I find it important to have the source file Absolute Path as opposed to Relative Path, and manual update. I tend to copy plns and move a variation to another folder, so this keeps the details linked. These are important considerations. When I need a variation of a detail is easy to copy and paste the base detail on a blank section (or similar) and make changes... or simply add a white fill over the placed detail (or often in the case of different text make the new text have a white fill).

There is potential for this detail pln to go insane, but so far it has worked great for my work.... however, I have gone insane.
sc.jpg
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display