cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Starting August 6, 2024, TLS 1.2 will be the minimum required protocol version for Graphisoft products and services that require an online connection. Learn more…
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

building material fill orientations

Anonymous
Not applicable
It says in the building materials dialogue box that fill orientation is available for complex profiles.

looking at the plywood roof sheathing in this example .
It looks correct in the complex profile window on the left but when i use it in the model and cut a section it is wrong

Is this a bug?

ScreenClip 4.png
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable
I had not seen that little note about complex profiles in building materials before, not sure how you get "from here to there".
[EDIT] Perhaps they just mean that the building material intersection priorities are active in CP's also, not that you can change them within the CP pnly... Unfortunatly whatever the case you can not use the fill orientation of "Fit to skin" which is exactly what you would normally use in this case.

However - I use the attribute manager to create copies of fills that I want to use in roofs (typically three, one for each orientation - soffit, barge board, and roof deck).
Then use the construction method and change to the icon with two fill handles.
By using this icon you can change not only the orientation of the fill, but its scale also.
fill pattern orientation and scale.png
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
In the Building Materials Dialog, the Fill Orientation field can be set to "Fit to Skin".
If you set a Symbol Fill for the Cut Fill of the Building Material, the Fit to Skin option will become available. It must be a Symbol Fill for the Fit to Skin option to be available. No other fill type will do. For example, you could use the "Wood 45" Symbol Fill for this purpose.
It should work then in Complex Profiles.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Any ideas how to make/find a plywood symbol fill?
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
You can create any Symbol Fill type you want.
I guees you could even use the "Wood" Symbol Fills, duplicate on of those and change it to get your plywood. You could change its angle or its scale to make it the way you want it.

Or you can just symply create your plywood from stratch.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,

I am having a related issue - the fill orientation for my basic wall (ie not a composite or complex profile) does not respond when I change the building material fill orientation option to "element origin" rather than "project origin".

This means that the fill for my wall remains aligned with the project origin, when I am using a basic wall.

I'm not sure whether this is a bug? To get around it I could create a composite wall that looks like my basic wall, but this seems like a bit of a long way around!
Screen Shot 2014-01-22 at 12.20.46 PM.png
Barry Kelly
I think this is more by design (or a limitation of Archicad) than a bug.
It has always been this way.

Create a composite for even the simplest of single skin walls.

There is a warning in 17 as shown in attached image.

Barry.
wall_hatch.jpg
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11