cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

creating custom set of layers vs. defaults

Anonymous
Not applicable
we have ALOT of issues with our files because they have been used and reused over and over instead of starting with a fresh template for every project. this has gone on now through 3 version of AC so i am trying to start from scratch.

so, in regards to layers, I have deleted all default layers and began creating new ones. and want to know if you think this is a bad idea long term.

for example ive named a few of the layers:

FP-WALLS-EXT
FP-WALLS-INT
FP-MILLWORK
EQ-APPLIANCE
PWR-CIRCUITS
PWR-OUTLETS

I know that AC has defaults for walls and other items but it seems that AC does not allow for all the layers we need in our work flow.

since i am new to the larger picture with AC i wanted to get some insight.

thanks once again.
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,

The layer structure is completely free and up to you to build it with consistency. I have been training teams since the mid 90's and I have never found any layer structure you could blindly transfer any where. All companies, countries, etc. have their own constraints and habits.

This said I have found over these years of training, a PRINCIPLE working every where. Most interesting it is platform and software independent, and even is working fine on traditional paper draft. I have called this principle the BIM rule. All layers can be divided in 3 groups each group is named with one letter B, I, or M.

B. BUILDING - In the main layer group store all the elements of the building and the real world (walls, slabs, openings etc.). It is the bigger group. Best would be to put in this group only 3D information. But we all know that more than reality this is an objective in most cases…

I. INFORMATION - In the second group store all the information related to the B group (texts, dimensions, labels etc.). It is the second in number as it usually includes much less layers. It is a slave group, if the first does not exist this one does not either.

M. MODEL - The third and last is the layer group for what I call TOOLS layers. This is a specific BIM group. You will never find it in flat cad softwares or paper draft. Put in the layers dedicated to 3D (SEO layers) to Hot-linked modules (Master layers) and any layer dedicated to a BIM purpose.

Groups have hierarchical importance related to the alphabetical order. B is more important than I, and I than M. If you hesitate between 2 groups chose the higher one.

Hope this helps
Anonymous
Not applicable
I ve been dividing layers in a similar way, one group for model elements (slabs, walls, roofs,...) second group for disciplines (MEP, Constructive, Structure, Architecture, Landscape,...). U could create a third group for for annotative elements that show up in most views (like sections,...) or SEO elements. This way u coordinate them in layer combos for each discipline u need in each view settings.
Arcadia
Booster
I have a completely self built and customized template with my own layer system that suits what I do and how I work. Best way to go.
V12-V27, PC: Ryzen 9 3950X, 64g RAM, RTX5000, Win 11