Due to a scheduled maintenance, a maximum 20 minutes license delivery outage may be expected on July 6 2024 (Saturday) between 6PM to 8PM (CEST).
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

creating options

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello I'm new to ArchiCAD.

I would like to know the best way to create design options. In Revit it is an easy tool for phasing or design options. Does ArchiCAD allow for this?

Thanks
7 REPLIES 7
NCornia
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
I think this video well illustrates what you desire:

http://education.heise.com.au/DEB201-2010/Archicad%20Mini%20Tutorial%2017%20-%20Adding%20an%20extens...

Here is a link to all the ArchiCAD articles/tutorials on this site: http://education.heise.com.au/category/archicad/

Good stuff. Enjoy.

Nicholas
Nicholas Cornia
Technical Support Team - GRAPHISOFT North America
ARCHICAD on Twitter
Tutorials
GRAPHISOFT Help Center
Karl Ottenstein
There is no real option manager for ArchiCAD, unfortunately.

You can manage your design options in several ways -

1. You can use layers similar to what is done in the video that Nicholas linked to below

2. You can use hotlinked modules (and master layers to turn the modules on/off) with modules for each option

3. You can use the Markup palette and tools, although this has severe limitations since it is not intended for design options: you will have to have a separate markup for each story, and the elements will not render with their normal materials.

If you search the forums, you'll find discussions on all of these methods (and more).

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.7, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you for your replies... It looks like ArchiCAD 15 will have a feature for this.
NCornia
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
MiccalM wrote:
Thank you for your replies... It looks like ArchiCAD 15 will have a feature for this.
Yes, your question was very timely. Of course, all of the other posters who complain that their wishes don't get answered will be very jealous of you.
Nicholas Cornia
Technical Support Team - GRAPHISOFT North America
ARCHICAD on Twitter
Tutorials
GRAPHISOFT Help Center
Anonymous
Not applicable
Not so sure about AC15 reference. Looking at marketing stuff. Nothing specific. It will still involve workarounds- some are suggesting use of the new renovation toolset for this......we shall see after May 23!
Anonymous
Not applicable
That is what I was thinking. Though it's not designed for it like in other programs, the renovation tools in R15 will probably work for it.
Karl Ottenstein
MiccalM wrote:
That is what I was thinking. Though it's not designed for it like in other programs, the renovation tools in R15 will probably work for it.
I hate to disappoint, but the renovation features in 15 will not work for general options. You will still need to use one of the methods I listed last month.

(If your options are very simple, and there are only two of them, then yes, you might be able to represent them as 'demo' and 'new'.)

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.7, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB