Due to a scheduled maintenance, a maximum 20 minutes license delivery outage may be expected on July 6 2024 (Saturday) between 6PM to 8PM (CEST).
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

fill patterns

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

Can someone give me some websites to download additional fill patterns, material patterns and wall types. Specifically I am trying to create a decorative fence in a court yard, and the only options I have are chain link or crosh hatch.

Thanks
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable
For something like wrought iron, use the billboard technique as
found here. When applied to a wall material it will repeat as long as the wall.
Start by searching the web images for something like "wrought iron clip art", or wood fences, etc.
Or you can use any picture and make a billboard of that. Sometimes you only need place a material/jpg on a wall. Look into the figure tool as well.
If you need it to have 3d reality at close range, then you are just going to have to build it.

Snap
PS How are those tutorials going?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Great, thanks so much for all your help.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Could you direct me to them, the only tutorials, I can find through Graphisoft don't cover the very basics. I am having to self teach, as I just started a job and that is the only program they use and I have never used it before. Alot of trial and error on my part.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Gee, sorry to hear that, the interactive tutorials (with embeded videos) really saved my ignorant derier. But surely the others at the office can help?

1) Watch any video of AC work you can, youtube is a good source.
2) google anything by Eric Bobrow, his site (http://www.archicadtemplate.com/) has a couple of videos. Even if you do not care anything for his subject matter, you MUST watch the videos, you will see his drafting style, workflow and shortcuts, INVALUABLE. I bought a DVD on rendering, I learned lots of tips and tricks that had nothing to do with rendering.
3) Visit sites like AECBytes, they have many articles on AC usage, again the subject matter is NOT important. Listening or reading an expert at work is worth its weight in gold to you at this time.
4) really look at sites like the CadImage people, just looking at what they offer will give you ideas about what is possible and maybe get you to expand your skill set.
5) find out if there is a local users group.
6) Do you have a mentor, if not, find one. This is easier said than done, but once accomplished you will be a step ahead, and not just in the software arena. Really, start by asking Architects you admire. Do not ignore this piece of advice!
7) Ask your colleagues how they got over the learning curve.
Learning is a state of mind, there is no end point. So get creative about finding out what resources are available to you.
9) The GS Forum search feature is a lobotomy gone foul, but use it anyway. There are really good topics that will surprise you as to how easy some stuff is, once someone shows the way. Even back to 2004 in old versions you don't care about, the ideas are usually still valid.
10) attend all the webinars you can, again don't worry about the subject, just sign up for all of them.

Oops, dinner time, bye.
Snap
PS Hm, apparently the number eight followed by a close parenthesis = smiley face with dark glasses!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Great advice Snap.
BTW I really appreciate your posts, good stuff.

In order to keep track of all the good stuff I run into about AC I do the following because I could not figure out how to get Architalk to cough up how I thought of something.
I created a very simple folder structure for things I find.
Say I like a certain post about roofs.
I copy the Architalk url (or any other url, ect )to the post/etc and paste it into a word.doc named, say,
Great roofs-1; Then inside a MAIN folder of AC Stuff; I have sub folders; 3d, Area calc, slabs, roofs, etc, etc,etc............
Today I just finally added new sub folder for EcoDesigner and put my first link in it.
After about 3yrs of this, I've got a place to go that not only has things I'm interested in, but how I think they should be categorized.
Probably a spread sheet or data base may be better, but that's how I got started and have just left it that way.
For now;
In your searches for all things AC bookmark this site by Vistasp;
http://archicadstuff.blogspot.com/
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks lec,

A good idea, thanks again.

Snap