Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

making an equilateral triangle curtain wall

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi friends,

How do you make an equilateral triangle curtain wall like in the picture with using curtain wall settings?

curtain wall.jpg
12 REPLIES 12
adzik
Newcomer
Somebody please correct me if I'm mistaken, but I don't think it's possible to achieve such a construction with the Curtain wall tool.

I'd go with a combination of triangular windows from the archicad library in a regular wall or a combination of beams and columns which also should get you what you need.
Running ArchiCAD 23 INT.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes it seems it's not possible. I remember AC 12 splash window. May be that will be the solution. How did they do that façade?
Erika Epstein
Booster
The AC12 building was done pre-curtain wall.

Using the curtain wall you can achieve the triangulated design.
I started by creating a scheme setting the horizontal gridline repetition to the side of the isosceles triangle in this example 5'

2. The Secondary gridline repeat i set to 4'-4",the vertical height of an isosceles triangle with legs of 5'

3. I set the secondary gridline rotation I set to 30° as that sets the angle to 60° relative to horizontal.

4. In the CW editing window I then drew in the horizontal frame members

5. Deleted the vertical frames

6. Drew in the angled frames that go the other direction from the secondary ones,

7.Adjusted the Scheme boundary frame to follow the triangles.
CW triangulated.jpg
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you Erika,

It's ok for the small façades but i think it's difficult to make big areas and difficult to reset the system settings again.

Anyway thanks again for your help,
And sorry for this late reply.
Sightline
Contributor
What it is more challenging is that triangulated curtain walls make most sense when they shape complex geometry. Curtain wall tool does not do a very good job with free form shapes. I wonder then, what could be a good solution for these new challenges that contemporary architecture has?

Diego T.
Diego Torres
Architect-CG Artist
Architectural Concepts and Visualizations
ArchiCAD 4.55 - 24
http://www.sightline3d.com
TMA_80
Enthusiast
This should be posted in the wish forum; ( i mean the generation of panneling tool and more freeform shapes with the curtain wall )

This kind of improvement a logical complement to the new morph tool ( and even to the curtain wall tool )
AC12_27 |Win11_64bit|
rocorona
Booster
Erika wrote:
The AC12 building was done pre-curtain wall.

Using the curtain wall you can achieve the triangulated design.
I started by creating a scheme setting the horizontal gridline repetition to the side of the isosceles triangle in this example 5'

2. The Secondary gridline repeat i set to 4'-4",the vertical height of an isosceles triangle with legs of 5'

3. I set the secondary gridline rotation I set to 30° as that sets the angle to 60° relative to horizontal.

4. In the CW editing window I then drew in the horizontal frame members

5. Deleted the vertical frames

6. Drew in the angled frames that go the other direction from the secondary ones,

7.Adjusted the Scheme boundary frame to follow the triangles.

I think there is an easiest way.
1. set the scheme as only one "square" panel, say 1m x 1m, but with the secondary lines angled 60°
2. create the CW plane, then use the "free rotate" command, in the pet palette, so the rhomboids are aligned correctly (I think this was 30° counter-clock wise)
3. Adjust the perimeter and add only a series of horizontal frames.
tricw.gif

--Roberto Corona--
www.archiradar.com
AC18 - ITA full on Win10
TMA_80 wrote:
This should be posted in the wish forum; ( i mean the generation of panneling tool and more freeform shapes with the curtain wall )

This kind of improvement a logical complement to the new morph tool ( and even to the curtain wall tool )
Je, je... i think that Archicad need something like "dragon"... (the tool that I'm developing...) You can define the panel you want, and then delete panels, beams and connectors... one by one, and the geometry its almost free.

By garquitectos at 2012-05-08

By garquitectos at 2012-05-08
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi, i did this custom triangle curtain wall, and i get a problem. I try to get a specific form, which with regular cw is done with no problem. With my cw each panel is kept rectangular and is not cut where it meets the border.
Any ideas to get the green part cut from the rest would be welcomed.
Thanks