cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Starting August 6, 2024, TLS 1.2 will be the minimum required protocol version for Graphisoft products and services that require an online connection. Learn more…
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

optimal workflow Sketchup - ArchiCAD?

Mats_Knutsson
Advisor
Hi,

Reason I ask is because I interviewed an architect skilled in both Sketchup and ArchiCAD about his optimal use of the programs together and got some (for me) surprising answers. He said he rarely never used the Sketchup model in AC since it is to "simple". He said it's much faster to make a clean AC model instead. He said he could make a more "correct" model in SU if he wanted to but then he would be much faster in AC doing the same thing...
His use of SU before swithcing to AC was about 30% of the time spent for a project (the rest in acad). After starting to use AC he says he is using SU 100% in 3% of the projects, namely the 30-minute sketch or projects he know wouldn't go further than simple volume sketches.

Anyone using the plug-in between the two darlings sucessfully or do you remodel?

Other comments?

(I haven't managed to learn SU....I must be pretty hopeless....)

Cheers,
Mats
AC 25 SWE Full

HP Zbook Fury 15,6 G8. 32 GB RAM. Nvidia RTX A3000.
1 REPLY 1
Bruce
Advisor
He's absolutely right.

SketchUp is fantastic for conceptual stuff or working out complex geometries or figuring out tricky junctions etc - but for project work ArchiCAD should be fired up no later than Preliminary Design...and start clean.

I have tried importing SU models before, but it's only successful in limited scope i.e. a single object such as a street light. A whole building just isn't workable in my view.
Bruce Walker
www.brucepwalker.com
Barking Dog BIM YouTube
Mindmeister Mindmap
-- since v8.1 --
AC27 5003 INT Full | Windows 11 64 Pro | 12th Gen Intel i7-12700H 2.30 GHz | 64 Gb RAM | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 32 Gb