Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

putting overhang ceiling to gable roof

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

1, I want to put a ceiling to the underside of an overhang of a gable roof on the external wall, on the approach veiw, how can a go about doing this since the surface is neither horizontal or vertical, also i am using the slab tool to represent the ceiling, is there a better option.

2, Similarly i want to dimension a small wall between two large windows when i put the dimension archicad will place the dimesion text on top of adjoining text , how do i place the dimension wherever i dim fit, where it will be visible

I am using Archicad 11

Thanks

Femi
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hola Femi,

1) The slab tool, by definition, only creates flat, horizontal surfaces. So, to put a "soffit" underneath your gable roof, assuming this soffit slopes upwards towards the ridge, you'll want to use the Roof tool, used for any sloping surfaces (not only "roofs").

For example, perhaps you can copy/paste the roof you already have constructed, then drop the elevation of your copy to the soffit height, change the thickness and materials for this soffit, and cut a huge hole out of this copy representing the footprint of the house, so that only the exterior overhang of the soffit remains. (but it will be sloping on the non-gable edge as well -- use the slab tool for this area of the soffit if you want it flat)

2) I think you're referring to the annoying feature where the dimension numbers "jump" outside of the hash lines that define the dimension area. This happens when the text is too large for the space. The solution is to hover your mouse around the bottom left corner of the dimension text -- this is where the "hook point" is for the text. Once you highlight the dimension text, you can manually drag it where you want.

Hope this helps. Good luck
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

it works great, i used the roof tool for the inclined soffit and also able to move the text to a better location. though i didn't quite get it clear about the copy/paste the roof option(which is on the floor plan window as another story) i have already constructed, perhaps you can outline the procedure more clearly then i will try it out

Thanks a million

Femi, Nigeria
Anonymous
Not applicable
Well, you got the job done and that's what matters.

There's always a dozen different methods, so it was just a suggestion. The method I was referring was this:

Since your soffit is the same inclination as the roof, you could have copied the roof, and then turned the copy into the soffit. To do that, I would go to the plan view of the roof (on whichever story your roof is), select the roof, copy and paste it into the exact same location. Now you have two identical roofs in the same space. Select one of them, drop it down, and manipulate it to become your soffit. That's all, not a big deal.
Rick Thompson
Expert
I may not understand the question, or what your doing now, but are you using composites? If not, then you might want to learn about them since they are essential to get the most out of AC. For a roof, all you need is a composite of the appropriate thickness, and then you will have all surfaces made by simply placing the roof. You can assign different fills/colors to each surface.
Picture 3.png
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes I got it, Thank you

Rick did you use composite to achieve the cornice for the roof elevation of the attached picture?.
whatever the answer is how do i get that done since the default setting of roof will produce basic straight shapes. even when you choose composite for the fill option.

Femi
Rick Thompson
Expert
That is actually an object for that purpose, that I got from Smart Parts Trim Library. A very handy object for residential construction. I actually duplicated the "base" object and renamed it for my use.

http://www.ddgi.com/object_shop/d3sp-shop01-libs-tr.html
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you i am looking at the site

Femi