Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

"Place Boundary Frames" for Railing?

squall_tmo
Booster
Hello!

I'm trying to create a enclosure using the new railing tool, but I can't find a solution to place the first and last Posts inside the the railing path and not centered...

Can someone suggest a solution for this?
5 REPLIES 5
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
This is not possible to do by default because Railing Posts are always placed centered in Railing Reference Line Nodes. Additionally, no 'Railing Post' GDL Object offers an offset parameter so the Post could be offset along the Reference Line. GDL Objects could probably be modified to provide such parameters.

However, let us think about how we could find a way to solve this right now.
My idea is to use the "Profiled Post 21" GDL Object for Railing Posts. It allows you to use Profiles defined in the Profile Manager for your Posts.
So all you need to do is to define Post Profiles where the origin of the Post is on its left side, or on its right side, for the starting and end post, respectively, or vice versa. I think this way you could make it work.

There is one additional thing you may have to do: by default more than one Posts may be selected when you click to select any of the Posts. If you right-click and use the "Create Independent Segments and Nodes" command of the context menu, each Railing Post can then be individually modified to use the proper Profile.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
squall_tmo
Booster
Many thanks Laszlo: using the profiled post is a great suggestion!

Anyway if you can improve that feature in the GDL Code it would be great, because that way users can obtain faster and better results with a checkbox than entering "Edit Mode".

Many thanks again!
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I will forward this as a wish to GRAPHISOFT. The wish will be to have the ability to define offset values for Post instances. It would probably be useful to have offsetting ability both in the direction of the Railing Reference Line and perpendicular to it.
squall_tmo
Booster
Yeah, I agree with your point of view.

I'm pretty new in this forum, so I'm not sure if this is the right place where to make suggestion about new features improvements and I'm not a GDL developer...

But if I don't go wrong there should be a Status Code in GDL that allows developer to make visible object's contour lines referred to navigation point of view and I think it could be useful, because the new Railing become a really powerful modeling tool.

I'm sure that it is much easier to say it than to develop it, but it should be useful.

Many Thanks again, Laszlo, for your help!
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
You are welcome.

Yes, I think there should be a way in GDL to control contours of these element types. Hopefully it is just an oversight in the 3D script of the Rail (I am supposing this is a Railing composed of a single Rail or Toprail/Handrail.
I will forward this also to GRAPHISOFT.