Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

roof plane sloping in two axes?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi all,
Any suggestions on how to make a roof slope in two axes? Think shed roof covering a stairway. Sometimes my brain just goes numb/ flat, but this might be a real puzzle. Perhaps some tool I don't know about?
Thanks in advance,
John
9 REPLIES 9
Gerald Hoffman
Enthusiast
John,

I can't quite visualize what you are trying to do. If you want 2 different roof pitches you can do this with 2 roof segments but something tells me this is probably not what you are wanting. Perhaps a sketch or picture or something might help.

Cheers,
Gerald Hoffman
“The simplification of anything is always sensational” GKC
Archicad 4.55 - 27-5030 USA
2019 MacBook Pro (64GB w/ AMD Radeon Pro 5600M GPU)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Gerald,
Simple enough to do in SketchUp: see attached.
Thanks,
John
Gerald Hoffman
Enthusiast
John,

OK, I see what it is now. I think you could do this with a mesh defining the height of the 4 corners and then copy this mesh displacing it downwards by the desired thickness of the roof plane, using it to SEO the top mesh. You would of course put the second lower mesh on an invisible layer.

My best guess.
Gerald Hoffman
“The simplification of anything is always sensational” GKC
Archicad 4.55 - 27-5030 USA
2019 MacBook Pro (64GB w/ AMD Radeon Pro 5600M GPU)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Gerald,
Thanks! I will give it a shot; I am fairly unfamiliar with meshes.
Best,
John
Anonymous
Not applicable
John,
You can do that roof with the roof tool.
When you draw the roof make your pivot line which is the
first thing you draw at 45° to the run of the stairs and then
draw the roof polygon. The pivot line does not have to
be parallel with any edge of a roof.
Peter Devlin
Anonymous
Not applicable
Your roof has only one pitch, but it could be a bit tricky to find right direction and angle och it. You could calculate this with SIN and COS or test with help of 2d plane and section/elevation views.
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
TurboGlider wrote:
Your roof has only one pitch, but it could be a bit tricky to find right direction and angle och it. You could calculate this with SIN and COS or test with help of 2d plane and section/elevation views.
You can use the 'Change Roof Slope angle' pet palette option which appears when you click on the corner of a roof in the 3D window. Top side or underside - doesn't matter. The angle pivots around the roof pivot line, so I'd recommend placing your roof pivot line on the outside corner of the wall. It's also based on the underside of your roof, so it may help to set your roof edge angle to plumb cut, even just temporarily.

Cheers,
Link.
Change-Roof-Slope-Angle.jpg
try using a mesh of zero thickness to define the elevations of the roof plane yo want. Then highlight this mesh and invoke the Goodie call Mesh to Roof. This tool determines how to angle the roof pivot line to achieve the compound slope you want.

Ths method will also make sure that your coordinates are correct. If your mesh doesn't snap into two or more pieces, you know you don't have any bent planes.
Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-5060 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.6
Anonymous
Not applicable
Wow- what a fantastic response! One thing I really appreciate about AC is that there are several ways to do something. Imunna give it a go.
Many thanks--
John