BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

story setting limit

shute
Newcomer
Hi All,

For some reason I could not set a story below -100 metres.
I wanted to set a reference level at -108 metres when this happened.

Did I do anything wrong?

Thanks.
iMac i7 16G / MBP 13" 2.9 i7 8G / Mac mini's - OS X 10.8 - AC 11/12/13/15 [Australia]
6 REPLIES 6
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
shute:

I just tried this on ArchiCAD 12 USA. I entered -500 feet in the Story Settings and the dialog box input reset the value to 328'-1.008", which is 100 meters. I was able to set a Reference Level at -10000'-0.000" (Project Preferences > Working Units and Levels), so you may need to use a Reference Level for your project.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
This is a little known limitation in the program. Don't ask me why.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
There was a recent thread on this subject regarding reference level use rather than large storey heights.

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=25900

which also refers to this one -

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=125490
shute
Newcomer
Thanks guys.

After reading those posts again - I'd read them before - can I ask

1. in AC12, a single story could not be more than 100 metres high, though this does not happen very often. Is it right?

If it is, and if we are doing a shed on top of the Everest and not using the "preference-->reference level" way, we'd have to set 89 imaginary stories before we reach our shed level.

2. As for the RL's, It seems that some manual work are still needed because we always mark the ceiling levels besides the floor levels.
Or, how can I do it all at once using, say, the mark Matthew uploaded? http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=125490
Do I set another level between the levels and call it "ceiling of first floor" etc?
iMac i7 16G / MBP 13" 2.9 i7 8G / Mac mini's - OS X 10.8 - AC 11/12/13/15 [Australia]
Erika Epstein
Booster
Shute,
(Neville?) I think you are confusing reference and story levels. Stories are floor to floor heights. I can't think of a building anywhere other than a spaceship hanger that might approach being 100M to the next story. Chances are though if Humans or Romulans are building them there will be many stories within it that relate to their size.

Reference Levels, are used not for stories, but to set the relative relationship of ground floor(s) of buildings on the site, or sea level to name the most common use. e.g. the Project zero refers to the ground floor of a house, another reference level might be the garage 3' below (or above).

HTH
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
shute
Newcomer
Erika,
lol, that day may be not that far away.
Learn and get certified!