Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

suspend groups is on and polyline is being selected

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have suspend groups activated and for some reason when I select
one line segment many lines are selected, about 6 lines forming a polyline
are selected with nodes black signifying they are not part of a group.
Yet, they are all being selected as if in a group even though the suspend groups button is selected.

Anyone else having strange things like this happening?
6 REPLIES 6
rocorona
Booster
I suppose you know the difference between Line and Polyline, and that there is a specific Tool for each of them in the Toolbox.
And that being black, the selection dots, are telling you that it is not a "group".
So I bet it is really a simple Polyline.

--Roberto Corona--
www.archiradar.com
AC18 - ITA full on Win10
If you mean, single and chained lines I know the diff.
If you draw a chained line with either tool when you select one segment
with the suspend groups on you should only get one selected segment.
Even if they were drawn with the auto group button selected.
never seen archicad behave in this mannor. It's a bit disconcerting.
If I have suspend groups engaged why are multiple line segments
being selected when I only selected one segment?

rocorona wrote:
I suppose you know the difference between Line and Polyline, and that there is a specific Tool for each of them in the Toolbox.
And that being black, the selection dots, are telling you that it is not a "group".
So I bet it is really a simple Polyline.
Karl Ottenstein
What Roberto was saying is that you can draw what look like chained lines with either the Line Tool in multi-segment mode, or with the Polyline Tool.

With a polyline, there is no issue of grouping or of 'chains' - all of the line segments are a single element with pet palette options for editing. It is impossible to select a single segment - and has never been possible. If this is something new to you - try the pet palette on points and edges - same options as a polygon fill.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.9, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
rocorona
Booster
Yes, sorry for not being more clear.
I mean, the Polyline is a poligonal shape, like the fill or the slab contour (but it can be closed or open). You can't select a single side in a slab contour. So it is with the polyline.
In older versions of ArchiCAD you could use the "Explode" command to transform a single Polyline to a chain of lines (and arcs, if there were curved edges). Now, if you need separate elements, you have to re-trace the polyline with the LINE TOOL, using the Magic Wand, and then delete the Polyline.

--Roberto Corona--
www.archiradar.com
AC18 - ITA full on Win10
Okay, guess I never use the polyline tool.
I think what happened is I exploded a slab keeping primitives only and was left with a polyline which I'm not used to working with.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl wrote:
...you can draw what look like chained lines with either the Line Tool in multi-segment mode ...
Thank you Karl for that tid bit, I have seen those icons in the line tool for years but never "really seen" them. That is a most useful time saver. In fact I had been doing what Roberto mentions, exploding polylines...