Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

v10 Copy Layout/Subset

owen
Newcomer
Seems we have lost another small but very useful piece of functionality in the merge of PM9 into AC10 (see attached) ...

You cannot copy-paste layouts or subsets in AC10 - right-click menu item is gone and Edit>Copy is greyed out. Haven't looked any further as i'm buggered if i know where else you would look for the copy command.

Seriously .. is this a joke?

It ain't funny

Copy Subset & Layout.png
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Design Technology Manager
fjmt | francis-jones morehen thorp

iMac 27" i7 2.93Ghz | 32GB RAM | OS 10.10 | Since AC5
7 REPLIES 7
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
On a PC we can just hold down ctrl while we drag the drawing/layout/subset in the Navigator. Just hold down the mac equivalent (opt/apple?) and it should work for you too.

Now if we could only find a way to clone subsets......

Cheers,
Link.
owen
Newcomer
Oh thats great .. I never knew you could do that

Problem solved.

Although I still wonder why they removed the copy/duplicate menu items although the ability to do it is still there .. Copy/Paste is a basic menu item that should be available for anything that can be copied.
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Anonymous
Not applicable
I like it. I was wondering the same thing. Copy and paste is the standard and still should be, but this is a pretty simple shortcut, once you find it.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I think you can also select a drawing in a layout and right click (or cntrl/comand c) and copy the drawing. You can then go to another layout and paste. I don't know why the functionality was changed. Thanks for the cntrl/command drag trick....
owen
Newcomer
I'm paying $6.50 on 'They just forgot to' and $0.10 on 'There was a good reason' ...

why? well can anyone think of a good reason to remove the ability to Cmd/Ctrl-C an item which can be copied, but keep an obscure, obviously not widely known method of doing the same thing? Strange logic indeed ..

Anyway .. thanks for another great tip Link. It is Opt on the Mac, not Cmd btw. Is this function documented anywhere? i wonder where else it works
cheers,

Owen Sharp

owen wrote:
It is Opt on the Mac... Is this function documented anywhere? i wonder where else it works
The Finder. Any text editing, including Word. On the Mac it's not obscure, it's normal. (Apple software's support for it is weak, ironically; it doesn't work in iPhoto e.g.) And the idea of Copying and Pasting files (or file-like things such as layouts) is a Windows thing. OS X has it now, but only since 10.2 or so. I never use it.
well can anyone think of a good reason to remove the ability to Cmd/Ctrl-C an item which can be copied
No. Since it's standard in Windows (and works in OS X), AC should have it. AC should observe the interface standards (traditions?) of whatever platform. And stop turning off harmless things that people use.
I'm paying $6.50 on 'They just forgot to' and $0.10 on 'There was a good reason' ...
Pulling away down the home stretch, it's 'They started messing with it and couldn't stop'
James Murray

Archicad 27 • Rill Architects • macOS • OnLand.info
owen
Newcomer
James wrote:
owen wrote:
It is Opt on the Mac... Is this function documented anywhere? i wonder where else it works
The Finder. Any text editing, including Word. On the Mac it's not obscure, it's normal. (Apple software's support for it is weak, ironically; it doesn't work in iPhoto e.g.) And the idea of Copying and Pasting files (or file-like things such as layouts) is a Windows thing. OS X has it now, but only since 10.2 or so. I never use it.
.. well now i really feel like an idiot. I have only been on OS X for the last couple of years but i'm surprised i haven't stumbled across this, or at least been told by one of our resident mac gurus. thats really nice. the more i use Macs the more I hope i never have to go back to Windoze based PCs.
James wrote:
No. Since it's standard in Windows (and works in OS X), AC should have it. AC should observe the interface standards (traditions?) of whatever platform. And stop turning off harmless things that people use.
Agreed. This area is one of my few gripes with 10 .. although im kind of glad they did now - i would never have found out about this! Much nicer way (even if its not the most obvious). I do wonder though if this command is not as well known (or documented) on Win just how many more people would have been asking this question.

James wrote:
Pulling away down the home stretch, it's 'They started messing with it and couldn't stop'

cleaned me out
cheers,

Owen Sharp