Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

when are the addons going to be updated for AC 8.1????????

Anonymous
Not applicable
as we all know archicad need the use of other thirdparties soft to be able to model some complex stuff...it was a long wait for addons for 8!!,..and now even more long for 8.1!!!...i need archiglazing..archiforma...architerra...!...i cannot spend time having archicad 8 to model just a single window and then pass it to a proyect im working on 8.1...its annoying...8.1 is way more fast than my 8r2 version....i think we all agree on that...we need the addons!....any idea when they are coming?
13 REPLIES 13
Fabrizio Diodati
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Dear Stefan,

unfortunately, from what I know from GS, we have to recompile our add-ons for each new ArchiCAD version.
I hope this behavior will change because it's very expensive for us (and boring for the users) to release a new updates for each ArchiCAD version!

About the cracked copy... I'm not so "optimistic"!
Fabrizio Diodati
Graphisoft Italy Srl | Via Rossignago 2/A Spinea Venezia 30038 Italy
stefan
Advisor
Fabrizio wrote:
Dear Stefan,
unfortunately, from what I know from GS, we have to recompile our add-ons for each new ArchiCAD version.
I hope this behavior will change because it's very expensive for us (and boring for the users) to release a new updates for each ArchiCAD version!
Not to mention the wasted time between the release of an ArchiCAD version and the release of an Add-on version.

The release of the new 3ds max6 also meant the release of a whole set of updated plug-ins, but that went very fast. Maybe internally it was only a minor recompile, but (since I'm delving into DLL & plug-in development in C++ myself, although not for ArchiCAD) I can imagine that API-changes can be everything from trivial to disastrous.
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
Fabrizio Diodati
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Dear Stefan,

of course I agree with you but, once again, it depends...

For ArchiCAD 8.1 we need only to recompile our plug-ins (and we released them quite fast) but, in order to provide the better product we can, we always test quite hard our products also if we simply recompiled them and, of course, this test phase needs time (you know, currently we released 10 add-ons so the beta-testing phase is quite expensive in term of time!).
On the other hand, also if from the code point of view there are minor changes, you have also to take care about other changes (for example, new ArchiCAD elements, introduction of subtypes, etc.) which can involve your software...

So it isn't so simple...
I really hope our users can understand this quite large amount of job needed for each new "maintenance" updates (due to a new ArchiCAD release) and can accept to wait for these releases…
Fabrizio Diodati
Graphisoft Italy Srl | Via Rossignago 2/A Spinea Venezia 30038 Italy
Djordje
Ace
stefan wrote:
On the other hand, updating the Add-ons might be a way to make it harder for cracked copies to be spread 😉
... and for the developers to survive ...
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen